Chapter 142

"So by sending a signal to Alex... You meant..."

"Pain," Alan confirmed with a cheerful nod. "Gets the Nanotech buzzing even better than adrenaline does."

I grimaced.

And I'm sure getting some of your own nanotechnologies into Vain was just killing two birds with one stone.

Not wanting to dwell on the thought, I glanced down at where Havoc and Winkle had landed.

The taller of the two was the only one still there, climbing to his feet with his hands pressed against his back as he painfully tried to straighten.

As he did so, Winkle sent a furious scowl in Alex's direction, and I couldn't help but follow the heated gaze.

Discovering exactly where Havoc had gone off to.

I turned in time to see the blue hair supervisor mid-air. Alex stood unmoving as Havoc flipped sharply, leg outstretched to deliver a brutal downward kick to the teenager's head.

Only to have his attack deflected by the red-head grabbing his ankle and stepping back out of its path. Fluidly, Alex grip on the leg shifted as he used Havoc's own downward force to slam the small man into the ground like a sledgehammer.

Even from here, I could hear Havoc's cry of pain.

Nanotechnology Buzzing...

Alex straightened, using his grip on the supervisor's ankle to hold Havoc hanging, the smaller man suspended completely above the ground.

With systematic apathy, Alex spun, twice, throwing Havoc with such brute force the blue-haired man didn't stop flying until he hit the wall.

As in, all the way across the gap and on the other side of the room.

What a mild way of putting it.

"... Alex can be such a chatterbox sometimes." Alan had been speaking the whole time, seemingly oblivious to his twin epic battle. "I figured that the ghost sensation of Maziric chomping on his neck would be a good motivator for him to get a move on... "

There came a sharp whizzing sound, and Alan ducked, narrowly avoiding a blow to the head from whatever it was Alex had thrown.

One look at his intense eyes and uncovered expression proved it to be his mask.

For something so expensive-looking, those masks were just... useless, even as impromptu missiles...

Alex continued to stare up at Alan with the same focused expression he had worn that time he fought Apollo.

I was beginning to recognise the look as the one people got when they decided to let their nanotechnology do the talking.

"Alright, alright, I'm going." Alan laughed down at Alex, practically dancing backwards so that he was balancing on the far rim of the chandelier.

Just I was about to snap at him to be careful, Alan gave us the most enthusiastic smile I had ever seen.

"So, just out of curiosity, have you guys seen the Phantom of Opera?"

I froze.

So not the words you want to hear when standing on top of a chandelier with a masked maniac.

"The one where the chandelier crashes into the audience and sets the theatre on fire," Vain answered flatly, seeming to sense our impending doom just as well as I could.

"So you have seen it." Alan gave Vain a teasing smile. "Should I be impressed?"

"Not really. " Vain answered, voice disinterested, but his expression stony. "There was a point in time when anyone living within a twenty-mile radius of my Grandmother couldn't avoid watching it, short of clawing their eyes out."