Chapter 98

"...Why didn't you just say that in the first place?" Artemis asked horror-struck.

The sound of Nigel's muffled laughter as he fell face-first into his sleeping bag could be heard behind me as I crossed my arms.

"Honestly, I didn't say anything because it's so obvious. We are in isolation, and since I'm here, it's pretty much guaranteed that we're being observed by a certain pair of nosy idiots."

They know who they are...

"Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Shrink Program is sitting in front of a giant screen watching this and eating popcorn."

Artemis didn't look the least bit impressed, and instead of bowing to my genius, he gave me a tired look. "... You just forgot, didn't you?"

"It completely slipped my mind," I admitted unabashed. "So yea, in conclusion, it'd probably be a good idea to postpone the rest of this conversation to a later date, preferably when we're not being spied on by losers that have no life." I directed that last part at the ceiling before giving Artemis a stern look.

"Oh, and next time, when you ask me something, you will ask me nicely. I'm the kind of girl who appreciates manners. Got it?"

Artemis gave me an incredulous look, before sighing in defeat, rubbing his temples tiredly.

"...You're quite right Love. On all three accounts." Artemis met my gaze ruefully. "I really do apologise. I shouldn't have been so short with you."

I nearly bit my tongue off trying to stop from myself snickering.

Short with me.

Being reminded that I was taller than him was never going to get old.

"I admit, after what happened today... how you attacked me believing that I was Apollo.... and the fact that you are here, made me question your... Character." Artemis gave me a sheepish smile, with a little bit of wariness mixed into the expression.

I smirked knowingly.

My charming personality wins over yet another poor soul.

"I can sort of see how I may have come across as the bad guy here," I admitted, before giving Artemis a stern look.

"Seriously though, between you and Apollo, I think I'm going to go nuts. With him acting all bored and snide all the time and you acting all polite and flowery, the only way I can get a straight answer out of either of you is to provoke you into an argument!"

Artemis rolled his eyes at my exasperation.

"Emotional reactions aren't as honest as you seem to think they are, Love." He ran a hand through his hair, giving me a small smile. "And... Acting? What gives you the impression that flowery and polite isn't my genuine personality?"

I scoffed. "Bah! Are you seriously going to try and convince me that the way you use the word Love like a verbal tick is how you really talk?"

I put my hands on my hips accusingly. "If so, then why doesn't Apollo do it?"

Artemis actually flushed, staring down at his hands embarrassedly.

"I spent a lot of time with my martial arts instructor growing up. He was a little old fashioned..."

Right... And Copy cat Apollo wouldn't have needed much training...

All I could do was shake my head.

"No offence, but you and Apollo seriously need to see a shrink or something to get a personality adjustment."

Nigel snickered. "I'd say that it's a little too late to see the shrink, Maddison."

Slowly, I levelled a glare at Nigel.

Puns were only cool when I thought about them. Privately. In my own head.

"Just because I can't hurt you, Nigel, that doesn't mean you can get away with that sort of crap." I hissed.

"Sorry, Maddison... But... "He was already laughing "How exactly are you going to Pun-ish me?"

Before I could kick his teeth into the back of his skull.... the isolation room went black.

It took me a moment to comprehend that the lights shut off.

I froze, feeling a jab of fear at the sudden darkness. The room was large enough that my phobia remained fairly quiet, but it still ate away at the back of my mind.

A hand suddenly wrapped around my own, and I nearly yelped. The grip was tight, trembling slightly, and was too small and non-bone crushing to be Nigel's.

Artemis was holding my hand in the dark... why?

Even without saying anything, I recognised the stiffness in his fingers as fear and decided to just keep my mouth shut and let him hold my hand.

Besides, complaining about someone being afraid of the dark would just make me the biggest hypocrite on the planet.

"Um...Is this their way of telling us to shut up and go to sleep?" Nigel questioned the dark room, and I felt my teeth clench in fury.

"Those rude little..."

And that was when the alarm started going off.