Chapter 166

Nobody moved.

Here Jack was, wounded and docile, giving us the chance to do whatever we wanted to him.

And no one was able to move a muscle.

"Tsk. I thought you were all eager to see the last of me." The previous Jack of the Hill sighed at the lack of reaction, letting his head fall back against the wall. "Didn't think you'd need warming up to the idea...Let's see, what old wounds should I pick at..."

That was all the provocation Vain needed.

"Trust me, the reason I haven't shot you yet isn't from a lack of want." His arm raised to aim the gun once more, red eyes completely calm. "I just know better than to burn bridges before I get everything I want from the other side."

I sent Vain a despairing look, heart twisting at the pure fury in his expression.

Jack didn't seem phased by the merciless words though, staring at the ceiling with a peaceful smile.

"Hmm, I doubt you would see me as a bargaining chip, so it must be information you want."

He sent a wink towards one of the corners of the room, presumably at Cassandra's hidden camera.

"You want to know her secrets? Her weaknesses. Far as I know, she hasn't got any. My creator is driven by curiosity alone. Willing to do anything for anyone, so long as they provide the means to feed her addiction to knowledge. She doesn't care about anything but the next discovery."

He shrugged "But Alexander could have told you that."

He tilted his head to the side questioningly, his eyes wide and vacant of emotion.

"Maybe you just what to know what makes me tick? I do like talking about myself, so why not indulge in morbid curiosity."

Vain shook his head.

"It's a waste of what little time you have left, trying to give your insanity meaning. You don't have a personality or a past Jack, just a mess of memories that don't belong to you."

Jack actually flinched, purple eyes closing with a grimace of pain.

"You're wrong. There were things that belonged to me." His eyes opened, and he sent a glare in Alex direction.

"Memories I made for myself. Distant and unsure as they may be. I haven't forgotten what you let her do to me."

Alex back away, pale with guilt.

"It wasn't you." The small boy's voice trembled, and Jack stared at him with more anger than I had ever seen from the insane boy l before.

"You're right." Jack slumped back, gaze returning to the ceiling. "The original Jack is dead, isn't he? All the Jack's of the past, they're all dead. And soon, I will be dead too, and the next Jack will get what left of me."

His lips twisted in a bitter smile. "Sometimes I wonder why she is so insistent on carrying on the memories."

Vain sighed.

"There isn't going to be another Jack. If you can't tell me anything about Cassandra..."

He shifted the gun, confirming the aim.

"I'll just put you out of your miser- "

He was cut off abruptly, his dragged back down when Alex attached himself to the limb.

"Wait." Alex snapped, meeting Vain's frustrated look with one of his own. "Just think, damn it. Before you do something, you regret."