Chapter 89

Something else that I had learnt after coming to The Shrink Program was that I had an ungodly talent for cricket.

Seriously.... after failing epically at every other form of academic in my life, it had never occurred to me that I might actually be good at something non- violence related.

Sure, I had played the game with my dad when I was a kid, but after shattering the stumps for the third time, I had figured that I was doing something wrong.

Dad had mumbled something about not wanting to get blamed for unleashing a monster on the world of cricket and had firmly steered me away from the sport.

I couldn't exactly blame him.

"Balled Out," Garmen announced a moment after my ball bulldozed the stumps into the floor.

I threw my hands up into the V of victory, grinning despite myself. The sooner I won this thing, the sooner I could get some breakfast.

Since a lot of time had been wasted waiting for me, then by the two supervisors continued arguments, we had finally decided to make this quick.

The grasshoppers fielded, I balled, and as soon as every member of the dragonflies were out, we got to leave.

As long as I defeated them before they got a hundred runs, Garmen was going to organise me some late breakfast.

Needless to say, I got the job done before they could even get to fifty.

"Foul! My kid jumped out of the way!" Havoc protested.

The two supervisors sat on the floor across from each other. Watching over the game from the edges of the miniature field.

"That doesn't make it a foul Havoc." Garmen raised a superior eyebrow. "And that's your last player out. We win. Shake hands, children."

Just about every person on the field groaned in relief. In contrast to the Supervisors over-enthusiasm, most of the shrunken players had little to none.

"Don't tell my kids what to do Mr Bossy!" Havoc demanded indignantly. "I still have one player left."

"... You have to be joking..."

I couldn't help but agree.

Everyone stared as a blue bear costume walked up to the stumps, bat in paws. I raised my hand.

"Mr Garmen, I think that I might be having a hallucination brought on by starvation."

"No Miss Trampth, I'm afraid that this is all too real." Mr Garmen looked like he was debating whether to complain or just give up and leave the situation.

"You can't be serious Havoc." He insisted in a stressed tone.

"Nonsense Garmen, I'm always serious." Havoc's tone was ominous, though everyone sent him a look that cried bullshit!

After a long moment of glaring at Havoc like he wanted to strangle the man, Garmen met my gaze, blue eyes cold.

"Miss Trampth."

"Yes, Mr Garmen?"

"Use ...that."

"...but Mr Garmen... It's only a child..." I pleaded.

"I'll throw in a milkshake with your free breakfast."

I shifted into position.

"I'm sorry about this." I apologised, void of expression.

"But Mr Garmen promised me a milkshake."

I balled.

You know that adrenaline-fuelled speed you get when you dive across a busy highway to save innocent ducklings from being run over by a speeding cement truck?

Yea, that's the best way to explain how fast I can ball. Especially if there is a milkshake on the line.

It's the sort of throw where you hear the crack of the ball hitting the stumps a few minutes after the actual contact, you know since sound is such a slowpoke.

It was the sort of ball that ended games once and for all.

The sort of ball that haunted the memories of all who witnessed it

The sort of ball that people in bear costumes don't hit.

The field was silent, the delayed sound of stumps falling acutely not there.

"Where did the ball go?" One of the fielders questioned as every member of the team looked around in confusion.

"Did it vaporise?"

"It must have entered light speed..."

"He hit it." Both Garmen and Havoc said at the same time, both voices as stunned as the other.

He hit it.

While everyone else had been staring in confusion, my suspicious gaze had locked on the bear.

Now I knew, under its cuddly and cute teddy exterior, lurked a cricket bear warrior.

Giant fingers appeared in my peripheral vision, and I held my hand out so that Garmen could return the tiny ball to me from where he had retrieved it from the outfield.

Even Havoc was too stunned to even comment on the fact that I had failed, not quite able to believe that it had actually happened.

"Ah, I guess the game goes on," Garmen announced vaguely. "Score: Forty-eight runs."

My stomach protested at the delay, and I felt something deep inside of me snap.

This bear was keeping me from my breakfast.

It wasn't just about the milkshake anymore.

Now, it was personal.

Eyes cold as ice, I smiled gently at my foe.

"You brought this upon yourself."