Chapter 177

Not gonna lie.

Shooting her son probably wouldn't be earning Cassandra any Mother of year awards.

That Nigel was somehow able to get the jump on her, bending her superhuman strength just enough that the shot hit Alan in the chest instead of blowing his brains out...

Might get her a #1Mum mug though.

Weirder things have happened.

Anyway, my (sort of?) friend had been shot, and 'What to do when your (kind of?) Friend has a gaping hole in his chest ' was not something they covered in health class.

Or if it was, I'd skipped that day.

My first reaction was to stare dumbly, the roar of the gunshot still ringing in my ears.

It was popular with the other kids too, as no one dared to move.

The only person who expressed more than horrified disbelief in those following seconds was Cassandra herself.

I saw the look of devastation, though I couldn't quite understand how it belonged on her face.

If shooting your offspring is not something you're okay with, how about not doing it?

Amiright?

"...I..." Her voice wavered in helpless confusion. "...I promised them... her... we were going to make the world better...please." The gun fell from her hand, hitting the floor with a loud clatter.

"Don't make me go."

If it had been anyone else, I would say the liquid coming out of her eyes was tears.

But before I could so much as ask "Are you out of your freaking mind?! Of course, you are, don't answer that..."

She exploded.

... Yep.

Wish I could say that a woman blasting out into transparent goo was not something I'd come to accept as the legit thing that happens sometimes.

...Wasn't even the first time this night.

Except. This time.

I was in the Splash Zone.

For a long moment, I stood, staring down at my goop covered hands.

And just like that, my capacity for this bullshit reached its limit.

Vain nearly dropped me when I started turning the air blue.

Such a tirade of bad language had never been heard by anyone living or dead. It probably wouldn't be an exaggeration to count it as a sign of the apocalypse. Somewhere out there, my parents were feeling an overwhelming yet unexplainable wave of guilt crush their souls.

Seriously.

This is what I'm going to be remembered for through the ages.

Not saving the world.

This.

"Maddison!" Vain hissed, holding me away from his body as if afraid I would explode in an even more lethal way.

"No!" I screeched, barely pausing in my promise to rip out Cassandra's teeth one by one, and not through the hole you would expect...

"This isn't helping!" Vain pressed the tip of his finger to the lower half of my face in a futile attempt to stop me from destroying the planet with pure vulgarity.