Chapter 158

With my forehead pressed against the cold concrete wall, my lungs straining as I tried to catch my breath, I made a solemn vow to myself.

Tomorrow.

I will begin my diet and exercise.

Being a kinesthetic genius wasn't good enough any more. I needed endurance, strength and a rockin' bod that looked awesome in leather.

That's right, I will train hard so that the next time I have to climb a really big staircase, I will be ready.

But for now...

Breaks over Maddison.

With a sigh, I shoved myself away from the wall.

There were only three steps left.

Exhaustion aside, I was hesitant to climb them, knowing that irony would strike the moment I was within reach of the top.

I rolled my shoulder, warming up my muscles along with my determination.

If Jack's going to show up to kill me, God knows it would have to be after I half kill myself with this stupid plan.

Still, the only bad plan is one that admits no modification.

And this...

I jumped for the next step.

.... is a very bad plan.

My hands screamed in protest as I hauled myself up over the edge, soon followed by my elbows and knees as they too were scraped against the harsh cement.

Hence the need for the leather outfit next time.

Pulling myself up with a groan, I sat on the edge of the step for a moment, staring at the bloody scrapes covering my hands...

"Calluses will only make digging Jack's grave easier...." I whispered to myself.

Despite the encouraging words, my voice died a cowardly death at the sound I least wanted to hear at the moment.

Approaching footsteps.

Called it. The universe can not laugh at me because I freaking called it.

Holding my breath, I scrambled to press my back against the stair, frantically trying to come up with a plan as the footsteps approached from the top of the stairs.

Shoes... That means it's not Jack. He was part bird the last I saw him... Unless Dr Floid finished the transformation and dressed him, in some elaborate plot to fool me...

Just stay quiet.

For once in your life, err on the side of caution and keep your big mouth shut.

A giant foot landed on the step below me, causing me to cover my mouth in an attempt to hold back a startled scream.

I was right.

It wasn't Jack.

I glanced up, watching the giant as he briskly descended the stairs, unaware of my presence at all.

But it wasn't Alex either... Or anyone else I recognised for that matter.

The stranger was tall, broad-shouldered and dressed in a dark business suit. He carried an expensive-looking briefcase, one of those ones that look like it would survive a drop from an aeroplane.

The only thing vaguely familiar about him were the golden curls.

Just what this situation needed. A third party. I don't know what he's doing here, but he seems to know where he's going...

A shadow fell upon me.

... And he apparently isn't alone.

Slowly, I looked up from the retreating man's back...

Straight into the amused eyes of the man balanced on the step above me.

So much for being sneaky.

The hand at my mouth flew down to my side, preparing me to run the moment he made a move for me.

The universe is indeed cruel. Making me climb all these stairs just to run back down them before I reach the top.

But the older man winked at me, honey-coloured eyes warm as he held a finger in front of his lips in the universal sign of shut up.

And when a man with bloodstains on his shirt and a sword in the other hand tells you to be quiet.

You take it as good advice.

Without a sound, his lips moved, finger lowering to point a silent message.

Go left.

Frozen in one place, it was all I could do to slightly nod in acknowledgement.

Unlike the stranger who walked before him, I knew all too well the identity of this man.

And that's what had me petrified.

"Don't dawdle Lark." The Blonde man called back, startling me and drawing his dark-haired companions attention.

Maybe blondie wasn't as oblivious as I first thought...

After studying me for a brief second longer, the man followed his friend down the stairs, stepping over me with near-silent grace.

No wonder I hadn't heard him.

It was only after they both disappeared into the dark hallways below that I could breathe again.

"That's...." I whispered shakily. "What's Robin's dad doing here?"

Lark Linquesta.

I had seen him a few times, just in passing as he regularly came to the school to pick Robin up. His was a face you couldn't easily forget, simply because the man looked like he had just stepped out of a spy movie.

And he carried a sword. Can't forget the sword.

If Mr Linquesta is here, then that means the other man is probably...

Mc'Valium.

"Crap.... crap crap crap crap!" I jumped to my feet, no longer wary of the remaining stairs as I made short work of them.

I had a bad feeling about this.

The blood I saw on Mr Linquesta's hands had to have come from somewhere.

Someone.

Down here...

Climbing the final step, I didn't pause to admire my achievement before running down the hall.

I was starting to get the feeling that our luck had just hit the fan in a spectacular fashion.

If something had gone wrong, I couldn't just count on Alex to find me.
No matter how many stairs I had to climb, I needed to find Alex.

Which all sound well and good in my head, but actually navigating this place is not going to be a walk in the park.

As if to prove me right, the hallway I was running along came to an end, with two possible directions to travel.
I slowed to a stop, peeking carefully both ways for any sign of danger.

Go left. He had told me to go left.

With a frustrated sound, I pushed myself back into a run.

It wasn't a matter of whether I trusted him or not.

Staying close to the wall, I took the left hall.

It was a matter of Desperation.