Chapter 161

I slapped a hand over my face to stifle a laugh.

Why is it, that no matter what sort of messed-up situation I'm in, I always find time to sympathise with my stomach?

As if I needed proof that my priorities aren't in order.

Sure, hunger was one of the better outcomes of being stabbed through the chest by razor-sharp claws...

But when it comes to prolonging my life, I pay attention.

And from what Apollo had said in the ballroom when I first brought up the issue of starvation.

Hungry.

Is not a good sign.

.... He said all my cells had been rejuvenated... I was supposed to be invincible...Or working at 100% capacity or something like tha-Wait a second.

My body, heart and soul, froze solid as the realisation finally dawned on me.

... I had been so busy being traumatised by Vain showing up that I hadn't notice.

Apollo never got me that hor'dourve.

My hand convulsed, gripping onto my hair as horror racked my body.

I had been robbed.

Of chocolate.

Of Giant. Fancy. Rich people chocolate.

My eyes opened, staring at the bars above me.

I'm going to kill him-

No.

For once in your life, Focus. You are doomed here, Maddison.

More importantly, you are hungry.

Which means the nanotechnology isn't working like it's supposed to.

With a shaky breath, I turned my head to look out at the room once more. Though I still couldn't see Jack, the music continued on flawlessly, so I could only hope my freaking out was going unnoticed.

Whether not working meant the nanotech had worn off, or run out of an energy source or something... I wasn't sure.

I wasn't smart enough to figure out the truth behind my sudden hunger.... or come to any real sort of conclusion... Which didn't really stop my panicking mind from trying to jump to one.

Whatever the reason was didn't matter, though.

The consequences of not working nanotechnology was what I had to deal with.

Looks like counting on super healing powers from now on is a no go.

I shivered slightly at the idea of dealing with Jack again without any sort of safety net.

Like I wasn't already terrified...

But that wasn't the worst part.

The haunting thought that, maybe... Peri wouldn't be able to see through me anymore, was what had my heart sinking with dread.

If that was indeed the case, then we could kiss the whole Hack into the system and kick evil ass plan goodbye.

Making this entire ordeal... Everything I had gone through since being shrunk... Since joining the Hill... Pointless.

Yep Maddison. You've done goofed this time.

My eyes burned with the sudden urge to cry.

You had one job. Be the eyes and ears of the guy who was going to actually solve your problems, and you go right ahead and use up all the nano-tech magic on healing your mortal injuries. Way to ruin everything moron. Go die in a hole.