Chapter 38

The other end of the line picked up.

"Hello?"

"This is all your fault, Vain," I muttered darkly into the mobile.

It wasn't really what I had intended to say when I finally figured out how to call Vain's number, but I couldn't help my instinctive reaction to his voice.

"Maddison?" Vain's voice was a mixture of surprise, confusion and worry.

Since this had to be the first time I've called Vain in over two years, I couldn't blame him for being a little wary.

"Devin ran away from home." I almost sobbed. Being unable to follow him at this size, the only thing that I could think to do was to call Vain for help.

"What? When?"

"...Ten minutes ago."

"Maddison..." Vain's voice sighed.

"We had a fight." I snapped in frustration. "He ran out the front door, and I don't know where he's gone so would you just... Help me...Vain. Please." I ended in an embarrassed mutter, struggling to get the words out.

"...okay, I'm coming over."

"I'm on the doorstep." I hang up.

Before I had rung Vain, I had managed to make it all the way to the door and through Mr twinkle's cat flap, but even outside, there was still no sign of Devin.

Stressed, I paced back and forth on the doorstep.

He's probably at the park up the street. Members of the Tramph family had been using that park as a brooding spot for years.

All we had to do was wander up there, find Devin, then stalk him from the shadows until he cooled off and came home.

Easy.

Then we could all pretend that this whole thing never happened and that I'm not the biggest jerk on the planet.

"Damn it," I muttered, crouching down and pulling my hair in frustration. "It's not like I like fighting... I've just never run away from one...Or tried to avoid fighting in any way... And maybe I've even eagerly jumped into a fight or two..."

I stood up, beginning to pace again.

"But at least I never intended to upset anyone. Devin is making it out to be like I'm doing it on purpose! Like I don't care what other people think. Can't he see that I'm just trying to help?" I sagged. "It's just not...as simple to fix as he thinks."

A creaking sound indicated that our front gate was being opened. I looked up to see Vain's towering frame walking down the garden path.

"About time." I snapped as he walked towards me.

His arms were crossed, keeping his long white coat folded over his front in a show of modesty. Under the coat, he wore a pair of grey pants that looked suspiciously like pyjama bottoms.

Along with his white complexion, all the pale clothing made him practically glow in the dark.

He must have been in bed because his white hair was messy, and his glasses crooked. It had been the first time since we were twelve that I had seen Vain looking so causal.

But that didn't really explain why I was starting to blush.

Peeved, I forced myself to stop staring. What the hell is wrong with me tonight?

Vain finally crouched down in front of the doorstep, studying me with tired red eyes, like he was waiting for me to say something. Or rather, waiting for me to growl at him and start making demands. Instead, I stubbornly glared up at him, unable to think of a single thing to say.

Is this what they call 'Being rendered speechless?' By Vain in his fricking pyjamas?

Vain rolled his eyes at my aggressive look and lack of complaining, gently reaching down a hand for me to climb onto."Let's go find your little brother, shall we?"