Chapter 52

"So, short stack... How come you can't do that?" Alex teased once the Supervisor left the room, normal-sized.

"I don't know!" I bristled, glaring at him. "I don't even know how the whole shrinking thing works in the first place!"

He smirked... As if he knew any better!

"They used Nano Technology. " Vain explained quietly. "It rapidly deconstructs then reconstructs your body at monocular level, rebuilding an exact replica of your body at a different scale."

Of course, Vain knows. He's smart, unlike the rest of us monkeys.

I glared at him, feeling overwhelmed.

"I only just figured out how to use Pac-man on my phone...." I sulked.

Way to wave your superior intellect in my face.

"Sorry, Maddison. Forget I mentioned it...."

"Nanotech is strictly controlled by the government." Alex mused. "The Shrink Program must be a reeeally powerful to be able to get their hands on it..."

"They are one of the leading organisation dealing with Nanotech in the entire world." Vain narrowed his gaze at the boy across from him. "Rehabilitating troubled youths is only one of the pies they have their fingers dipped in. Something that demonstrates their research is useful to society and gets them more funding. "

Capitalising off teenage angst? How dare they?

"When did the world get so complicated..?" I muttered, remembering the good all days when operating a toaster was the most complicated thing I had to do in my day.

"Right after you were born into it." Vain sniped, and Alex actually snickered.

I glared at both of them, not liking the fact that they had been getting along ever since Vain had punched Jack.

Cause all they do now is team up on me....

"Pity." A familiar voice murmured from the doorway.

The last voice I wanted to here right now.

Apollo leaned casually against the door frame, lollipop in mouth. He blinked lazily at the odd scene we presented. "It seems like the rumours of your demise were greatly exaggerated."

I groaned. "I can not catch a break."

"What do you want?" Vain asked tiredly, ignoring my complaints.

"I was just checking up on my favourite pawns." His eyes were expressionless as he looked at us. "After all, Jack's return is quite an unexpected turn of events."

"What? You're not the mastermind behind all the evil in the universe?" I spat. "How shocking. I was half convinced you personally sent him the invitation to return and ruin my life."

"Really Maddison, out of you and Jack, who do you think I would rather as my opponent?" His lips pressed together in quiet frustration.

"You're kitten fluff in comparison to Jack, and everyone knows it."

"Kitten Fluff!" I sputtered indignantly. "I kicked his ass!"

"Yea, but no one's forgotten the sort of fun Jack used to indulge in. Compared to that, having a pretty little blonde punch you in the face ain't so bad."

He smirked.

"Some even look forward to it."

I saw red.

"Jack is way prettier than I am!"

"Jack doesn't wear a skirt."

"Sexist!"

He stared down at me.

"If it's any consolation, I'd say your chests are pretty evenly matched."

All the clocks in the universe came to a standstill.

Did he just....?

"Maddison..." Vain tired, glaring at Alex when the red-head buried his face into the bed to suffocate his snigger.

Blasphemy.

I was on my feet and half away across the bed before Vain managed to place a restraining hand in between the dead man at the door and me.

"Fight me!" I screamed, attempting to climb over Vain's hand before pale fingers pressed lightly around my waist, keeping me put.

"Ask me again when you're big enough to match your mouth Thumbelina." He dismissed with a shrug, pushing off the door.

"I've done what I came here for. Better get back to my plotting. Unlike some people, I've had a productive morning."

He turned to leave, and I stiffened in Vain's hold.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Alex asked, lifting his head enough to glare suspiciously.

Apollo sent a knowing smile over his shoulder

"You'll find out when you see the King."

With that last bit of chilling information, he was gone.

Damn.

He couldn't have been clearer even if he outright said he had attacked the King of the Hill.

Our very own mastermind.

My stomach sank.

I had been kind of depending on the King thinking of a way out of this for me... But if Apollo had done something to him while I was unconsciousness...

I sent a look at Alex, who was glaring at the empty space Apollo had left behind.

He wouldn't forgive me.

Before I could voice my concerns, Vain broke the silence.

"You think Jack looks pretty?"

I slapped a hand to my red face, wanting to throw myself into the grave I had just dug myself.

This day can not get any worse.