Chapter 141

"First things first. Time to ditch the Fuzz," Alan announced, not bothering to keep his voice lowered or, in any way, conceal what he intended to do.

"You're going to want to hold onto to me," He smiled at Vain, who dignified the comment with a scowl.

"I'll pass."

"Suit yourself."

It was a credit to them both that Havoc and Winkle actually stopped arguing and paid attention.

Figures that there would be a first time for everything.

"You're going with him willingly?" Winkle snapped, looking royally peeved. "Exactly what kind of stupid are you, Tramph?!"

That's ... Actually, that's a pretty good question.

"Maddison, " Havoc begun, gaining my attention with his pleading eyes.
"... I know that it's not in your nature run away from a fight..."

Understatement.

"... and you're kind of upset with me at the moment..." He winced at the hostile look that entered my gaze.

Understatement of the century.

"...But you can't do this." He held his hands up, taking a slow step towards us like he was afraid we would bolt like a skittish animal. "You're amazing, Maddison, but you're a civilian and a minor..."

"You're way out of your depth kid," Winkle grumbled.

All logical arguments.

"You think I don't know that?!" I snapped, bristling up like an angry... mouse, I guess...

"You think I don't realise how crazily insanely stupid this is and that I'm probably going to get myself killed! Do you think I'm just doing this for fun or to prove how tough I am! I'm five inches tall!" I threw my hands up, climbing to my feet.

"If all I wanted to do was save the day, I wouldn't be tagging along and acting as team mascot! I'd go home and not be a burden!"

"Then why are you doing this!" Winkle shouted back.

"Because all my friends are!"

... Okay, even I have to admit that came out a little bratty.

Winkle actually stumbled back, as if I had landed a physical blow, before pointing furiously at his side.

"Maddison Tramph. " He snarled, eyes deadly cold, shoulders hunched. "You get your stupid teenaged ass over here right this instant, before. I. Snap. Because if you make me come over there and fight that idiot myself, just to make sure you don't get yourself killed, I am going to lock you away in an isolation room and throw away the key!"

I crossed my arms over my chest, gaze defiant.

"Sorry Winkle, but if I was the kind of person who valued safety over being a thorn in the side of anyone who ever knew me, then I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place," I smirked, making my expression as cocky as possible and watching the way Winkle started to steam.

"So if you want me to sit back and hide while my friends do something incredibly stupid and dangerous, you're going to have to make me."

While my attention was focused on crushing the sputtering Winkle with superior smiles, Havoc took another step closer. "I knew it, you really are a good kid Maddison."

It was only then that I realised how close the dork of a man had come.

"I'm really sorry, but I can't let you have your way this time." He gave me a small pained smile. "After all, Garmen would surely lecture me to death if I let his star player get hurt."