Chapter 114

Once the supervisors finally managed to calm me down to the point that I could sit on Peri's shoulder without immediately attacking the poor man, we finally started moving.

From his shoulder, I watched as Havoc talked animatedly at Garmen, hovering as the tall man took a few unsteady steps, supported on one side by Mr Green. All the while the tall man silently glared at his tormentor, obviously trying to will Havoc to death, or at least paralysis.

Irritably, I found myself glaring at Garmen's dark green hair, of all things, wondering if he dyes it. Though with the amount of emotion he shows, it could quite possibly be the result of him being part tree...

On Havoc's shoulder, Artemis sat, remaining very quiet throughout the exchange. I had noticed that Artemis didn't seem as open around the supervisors as he did with me, and even Nigel.

Perhaps it was hard for him to talk to people not involved with the Hill. I know that I found it difficult at times. Especially with Devin... Yea, I can already see how that conversation would go over.

Instant K.O.

As if sensing my gaze on him, Artemis turned to look at me, green eyes studying me questioningly.

In answer, I did one of my more creative rude hand signals, punishing him for being impervious to my ultimate spying technics. Even from here, I could see the crimson blush that flooded Artemis cheeks as he quickly turned away.

Fool, turning away can't return your innocence.

A little way away from them, Reece stood with Nigel in his cupped hand, speaking quietly to the tiny boy. Though I couldn't hear what they were saying, it was easy to get the gist of it as Nigel waved his bloody elbow around the air. As if thrashing it around energetically would convince anyone that it wasn't injured.

"Maybe we should get Winkle to kiss it better," I muttered to myself, accidentally speaking out loud and making Peri snicker.

On the other side of the room, Winkle stiffened, his mixed matched gaze focusing on mine sharply. As if he had heard me.

"So." I sighed, leaning over on Peri's shoulder so that I was closer to his ear. "Are you ever going to admit to me that you two share a brain? Or do I have to start whispering obnoxious insults about Winkle and watch him squirm on the other side of the room just to prove it?"

Peri chuckled quietly, though Winkle's reaction was to a scowl menacingly from his far far away corner of the room. Making me feel really scared.

"The link doesn't exactly work like that... though that's actually pretty close to the truth." Peri murmured to me. "The nanotech in our bodies are just trying to maintain a singular image between our two bodies. So when the machines in one body observe strong brain activities, the nanotech in the other will try to mimic that activity by sending forged signals to the brain."

"And this does what...?"

"It gives us a joint awareness. At times like this when its calm it isn't so bad, and we can separate our personalities and consciousness, but at moments of intense stress, it becomes so connected that it feels like having one mind and two bodies."

"That sounds overly complicated and annoying as hell," I commented, glancing over at Winkle again.

Having to share a brain with Peri would drain anyone's patience dry...

Meeting his gaze calmly, I dully realised that his eyes were the reverse of Peri's.

Left eye brown, right eye system blue. Reverse heterochromatic eyes. Just like...