Chapter 147

Once upon a time, when Nigel was only a wee lad, the little guy watched a hilarious cat video.

... Or something else equally mind rotting, doesn't really matter what.

The point is, Nigel was smiling like a complete goofball at the time.

This would have been one of his happiest memories if only tragedy hadn't stuck at that very innocent moment.

The wind changed, leaving the poor child's face permanently disfigured in the stupidest expression known to mankind.

Theory of why Nigel is an oblivious idiot #24.

...Truth be told, I never could figure out how Nigel managed to be so inappropriately goofy all the time.

The only hobby he had besides annoying people was music, and even then, the sound that came out of the various instruments he liked to carry around with him could better be described as noise, rather than melody.

He was friendly but kept his distance from most people.

Not easy to make causal friendships, when you're paranoid about hurting people by accident.

He worried a lot, got distracted easily, was emotional and sometimes acted a little sillier than he really was, trying to put people at ease.

Despite being one of the most dangerous,

He is easily the gentlest person I know.

So while watching Nigel glare at Vain in actual anger, I realised.

Nigel's face really, really, really, wasn't supposed to be able to move that way.

Despite Vain's warning, Nigel didn't let the smaller boy go, the two of them glaring at each other from only inches away. If the small pained sound Vain made was to be any indication, Nigel grip was only getting tighter as the seconds passed.

"I trusted you." Nigel hissed. The words scalding with betrayal.

My eyes widened with shock.

Yep. Something in the universe is definitely broken.

"Even knowing that you couldn't protect her the same way I could. That you would hurt her more than I would. That you're mean, and sharp and scary, I still believed that, even if everything did go wrong, you would at least be there."

Something cracked in Nigel's furious expression, a miserable look coming to his eyes.

"I was there. I've lost count of all the times I was there.... when it should have been you...."

Nigel lowered his head, his grip loosening enough that Vain was able to sink back off his tiptoes, but not pull away completely.

"Over and over... Seeing her hurting like that... Not being able to do anything, because I'm never the one she needed..." He murmured very softly. "...It hurts."

Everything suddenly felt too tight. My chest, constricting painfully, even as my head filled with white noise.

Maybe I never noticed. Maybe I always knew, but never wanted to face it.

The way Nigel felt about me.

Even now, I didn't follow the thought through, knowing that the conclusion would only... Cause more pain.

No one spoke for a long moment, our small group standing in heavy silence as Nigel and Vain continued to stare at each other. You'd have to be pretty brave or obnoxious to try.

Despite being both those things, as well as the topic of the conversation, I was just as powerless to fill the silence.

My moment to make amends was quickly slipping away. Without looking at us, Nigel began to pull back.

"If that is all that you have to say. I believe..." Vain's shoulder moved beneath me as he stopped the older boy with a hand on his wrist. "...That it is my turn to speak."

I blanched, taking in Vain's sharp glare and pressed lips.

Nigel might actually die...

"The first time I had you attacked, in the courtyard, it wasn't with the intention of taking your card."

Nigel and both did a double-take, wary of what this was leading up to. Vain met the scrutiny with calm regard.

"Alan informed me of the duplicate Joker of your nerve condition... And of your relationship with Maddison. With this information, I had Apollo attack you, to draw out the fake card."

He took a breath, and I'm sure only Nigel and I were close enough to notice it shake.

Despite his cool demeanour, I had the feeling that it wasn't easy for Vain to speak about what he had done.

"I instructed that you be injured so that you would be sent to the hospital. Not only to get you out of the way but so that when it finally came time for us to take the real Joker, you would be caught fighting off school grounds. Just like Maddison, I set you up to be sent to the Shrink Program."

"... So that the Underground would have more reason to attack...?" Nigel asked weakly.

"If motivating the Underground was all I wanted to do, I would have given Alan a taste of his own medicine," Vain replied bitterly, followed by an offended noise from the mentioned Floid brother.

Vain sighed irritably.

"I'm only going to say this once, so use your brain, Fleming. I sent you to the Shrink Program." Vain reached up and actually flicked Nigel on the forehead. "Because you are the one I trust to be there for Maddison when I can't."

With one last grimace, Vain stepped to the side, letting go of Nigel's arm.

"One day, when we're not about to face an insane criminal, and you haven't just manhandled me. " He brushed past the taller boy. "I'll find a way to thank you for that."

As we walked past, Nigel reached up a hand to cover his eyes, rapidly turning bright pink.

It was all I could do not to faint.

Apollo whistled sarcastically as we approached.

"Why am I not surprised that the only thing you didn't organise for her trip to the Shrink Program was a packed lunch?"

Seriously. The Universe ending, then and there, would have been really convenient.