Chapter 178

The sun was coming up.

The most poetic dawn I had ever seen.

It made me think about the little things in life... like how nice it would be to actually have a sense of time cause everything I thought I knew was wrong and holy crap I have no idea how much time has passed or what day it is even.

The first glimmer of light had been breaking the horizon when the five of us managed to climb up out of the Hill like skeletons out of the grave. The warmly coloured sky made the perfect background, as our Helicopter took off, flying off above the trees and soared off into the distance.

Really, a movie worthy ending.

...Too bad we weren't in the Helicopter,

But on the ground,

Watching.

We were just in time too. Close enough to the initial take-off to be blasted by the wind of the propellers... and to see, in perfect detail, Lark Linquesta waving at us from the still-open door.

That is when I knew.

Today had to be a Monday.

By the time the Helicopter became a dot in the sky, I'd managed to overcome the indignation of having any of all of what just happened to me actually happen...enough to question why?

"HOW DID THEY GET OUT HERE BEFORE US!?"

Was my first concern.

"Oh, That's just the secret entrance." Being kept on his feet by Nigel's support, Alan pointed back at the Hill. "They would have used the secret secret entrance."

"...The secret secret entrance?"

Alan nodded cheerfully.

"The one with the elevator."

...

As it turns out...The Hill, with its five-card lock system... is the easy way in.

"And we are all just cool with the fact they are escaping in your helicopter." I gritted out, turning on Vain's shoulder to glare at the boy who had ridden up the stair piggyback style.

Alex scowled under the scrutiny.

"Must have left the keys in it."

Must have left the keys in it.

I stared between the Floid Brothers, both of whom looked completely unconcerned...maybe even relieved.

The sun wasn't the only thing to dawn in that moment.

"She got away." I realised turning to watch the fading dot with fresh horror.

Systems are replaceable. Crazy geniuses who build them, not so much.

"....hmm. I think it would be safe to say she did." Alan sighed, pulling away from Nigel to collapse onto on the grass. "Poor Mc'Valium is going to have his hands full. Mother is never good company...ever really."

And that had been the plan all along.

Every time I had gotten the feeling that Alan was up to something...had been taking a very pacifist approach to the whole situation...had been outright stalling...

"YOU LEFT THEM A GETAWAY HELICOPTER?!"

"Of course not," Alan responded to my question with a quirked an eyebrow. "That would make me an accomplice."

I was speechless. Despite wanting to scream about everything I had been through and how it had all been made pointless, I couldn't utter a single word past my rage.