Chapter 87

"Good Morning, new day!" I greeted, sitting up in bed and stretching. "Well, since I feel refreshed and well-rested, that could only mean one thing..."

I glanced at the glass wall of the room, which had my schedule and the Shrink Program's news bulletin scrolling across its surface in bright blue letters.

... And in the left-hand corner there was a cheery digital clock, brightly informing me that, yes, I had indeed overslept.

Severely.

"I'm late!" I leapt from the bed, covers flying as leapt for the wall cupboard.

Armed with a clean uniform, I ran into the bathroom to get ready.

Privately thanking the shower god that I had forced myself to have a stern scrubbing before collapsing into bed last night, I was out of the bathroom within five minutes. Still pulling on my shirt as I started searching for my shoes.

It was already ten, so I had yet again missed breakfast and morning meditation. The meditation I could probably get over pretty quickly, but I had been sent to bed with no dinner last night, and I was hungry.

"Stupid alarm didn't wake me up," I muttered hopping around to yank my shoes on.

"It is only an Alarm Maddison. It's not designed to wake people up from the dead."

I yelped when Reece's quiet voice came from the speaker, nearly falling over in surprise.

I spun, shoe in hand to see the giant supervisor standing in front of my window.

The giant man was eye level with my room and didn't have to bend or stretch to meet my startled gaze.

"I was getting changed in here," I said, glaring daggers past the writing on the glass and into his glowing blue eyes, which rolled dismissively.

"I didn't watch. Regardless, I'm a doctor, I doubt that you have anything I haven't seen."

What a way to utterly crush the pride of a teenage girl...

"Can't say that I've met many Doctors that can pin me to the floor in three seconds flat," I muttered, grumpily remembering the train.

Reece chuckled quietly.

"Don't take it to heart. It's mostly thanks to the NanoTech anyway. Because we have it in our bodies, any supervisor here could easily overpower you, no matter their size."

"Soooo not making me feel better," I muttered darkly resuming my efforts to shoe myself.

"... You know, out of context, your conversation sounds pretty naughty." A new cheerful voice teased from the speaker. "You're making Garmen blush."

"What nonsense." A flat voice entered the conversation. "Reece, kindly hurry up and retrieve my final player so that we can begin the match. I don't have all day to indulge Miss Trampth's sulking."

With that, the eavesdroppers presumably left... Leaving me glaring at the walls in outrage.

They weren't even in eyesight, and they still managed to spy on me.

"Seriously, is it just me, or is there no privacy in this place?"

"It's mostly just you," Reece admitted unabashedly. "You're interesting. And we get bored easily."

I narrowed my eyes at him accusingly. "You guys obviously don't get out much."

Reece just shrugged

"Not at all, actually."

Before I could ask what he meant by that, a giant hand reached up to the glass in front of me.

"We better not keep them waiting. You are very late for Garmen's and Havoc's cricket match, and you know how those two get if they're left unoccupied for long periods of time...."He smiled sweetly." For the sake of the entire Shrink Program, we'd better hurry."

Reece placed his palm flat on the glass, and ripples spread from the place he touched, erasing the information that had been there before.

The glass began to tremble as he lifted his hand from the glass, and a second later, it burst outward, becoming a clear liquid hovering in the air above Reece's head.

... Now that's just showing off.

Reece smiled reassuringly, placing his hand flat on the floor of my room.

"Want a lift?"