Chapter 73

The room dissolved into chaos.

In a matter of seconds, an all-out brawl had begun between the members of the hill, and Apollo's group.

In terms of skill, we had the advantage, but that didn't mean Apollo's group were pushovers.

And they weren't the only threat we had to worry about...

Experience and hard-won instinct made me search for Jack....only to find the slippery jerk sitting in the grandstand, watching the fight with an amused smile.

Lazy little... Seriously, no matter what side he's on he manages to screw us all over in the end.

"Robin! Stop Apollo!" Alan called out from somewhere in the fighting mob.

I glanced over, heart racing at the sight of Apollo pulling the cards out of his pocket.

Don't rip them! I don't want to be the only survivor....!

Apollo leapt backwards and out of the path of Robin's tight fist. He kicked out in retaliation, narrowly avoiding The Ace as she dodged to the side.

Apollo was at a disadvantage, still injured from his fight with the twins, but that didn't stop him from keeping up with the Ace.

The two of them continued to fight at a blinding speed, both struggling for the Cards still held in Apollo's hand.

"Damn, these guys just don't give up," I muttered, staring at the scene before me in amazement.

Alan was now taking on the group by himself, keeping his ground, barely.

"Maddison."

I glanced up in surprise, noticing for the first time that Alex was standing in front of Vain and me.

Face expressionless, he reached out a hand for my jar.

"Let's go."

"What?" I stared at him, pointing a finger towards the fighting. "Shouldn't you be helping out...?"

"I'll come back once I get you out." He explained, his eyes locked on Vain's. "Hand her over...She'll be safer with me."

I was about to protest that he was coming with us....when I felt the jar move towards Alex.

I glanced back at Vain in surprise as he handed me over, noticing the calm resignation on his face.

"He's right, Maddison." He said softly. "It's better if you go with him."

Feeling uneasy, I gave him a nod. "Okay... Vain."

"Thanks," Alex said tersely, and my vision of Vain was blocked as the red-head turned and started making his way out of the room.

For some reason, not being able to see Vain, not knowing if he was following safely, made me panic.

... I couldn't overcome the feeling that something was wrong.

Breathlessly, I was about to ask Alex to wait when Apollo's voice suddenly rang out in pain.

Without me saying anything Alex turned, just in time to see the Cards fly out of Apollo's hand as Robin kicked his wrist. The cards made a small clatter of noise as they landed.

At Vain's feet.

I smiled in victory as Vain bent over to pick up the Cards.

Now that we had the Cards...

But...

Vain hadn't moved.

He still stood in the same place that we had left him.

He hadn't followed us.

I finally realised the thing that had been bothering me for so long.

All the little things that didn't add up.

The information that had been locked up at the back of my mind, beating desperately at the door.

"How did you know that I was afraid of being trapped in Dark places?"

"Devin told me."

The sounds around us seemed to disappear as Vain met my gaze, smiled at me softly.

Devin couldn't have told Apollo that I was afraid of small dark places...

Devin doesn't know.

The only person who knew was...

"I'm sorry, Maddison."

Vain.

With the sharp tearing of paper, Vain ripped the cards in half.