Chapter 45

"Maddison!" Nigel cried, excitedly sitting up in the hospital bed.

I couldn't help the small sob that escaped my throat.

"Behave, Maddison." Vain sighed, walking over to stand next to Nigel.

Like what you'd expect from a hospital, the large room was clean and clinical, smelling so strongly of disinfectant I could almost taste it.

The few other patients who were actually awake at this ungodly hour paid us no mind, reading or watching Television from their own beds.

Nigel grinned at me as we came closer, and I couldn't help shifting nervously.

Last time I had been this close to Nigel, there had been a glass jar between us to protect me.

Now all I had was a giant Nigel sitting right in front of me, well within reaching distance.

This. Is. Not. Safe.

I sent Nigel a small wave, hoping that if I acted cool, he wouldn't sense my fear and attack.

I shouldn't have bothered.

"Can I hold you?" He asked, holding out a hand.

"N-No!" I sputtered indignantly, preparing to throw myself off Vain's hand to escape.

What does he think I am? A puppy?

Nigel gave me a hurt look, and I squirmed, resisting for a whole five seconds.

"...Fine!" I snapped, stomping over onto Nigel's waiting hand when he held it directly in front of Vain's.

Nigel grinned, bringing me up to his face to study me.

Despite my misgivings, Nigel moved with exaggerated caution. Carefree Idiot, he may be, but no one was more aware of his lack of control than Nigel himself.

Arms crossed, I glared down at my feet, feeling beyond uncomfortable.

When he didn't stop after a long moment of awkward staring, I met his gaze angrily.

"What?" I snapped.

"Nothing." Nigel smiled brightly. "You just look really cute like this Maddison. All delicate and small and well... Non-violent."

I felt my face warm. Nigel telling me that I was cute wasn't anything new.

He wasn't flirting, he just didn't have a shy bone in his body and could hand out compliments like it was nothing.

Normally though, I could punch him to shut him up and hide my embarrassment.

"I got up at six to come visit you, Nigel. So what do you want?" I snapped, wanting to change the subject. Nigel's golden eyes flickered over my head to Vain, nervous.

"Whatever you want to say to me, you can tell Vain," I muttered impatiently, and Nigel jumped guiltily.

The hand beneath me lowered, and I was set down on the bed, his blanket-covered legs like hills lying beside me.

"I wanted to tell you this yesterday." Nigel murmured anxiously, looking down at me from his towering height. "But I never really got the chance...."

"What is it?" I asked, trying to sound patent, even though I was on the verge of brutally murdering him for making me get up so early.

Nigel sent one last glance at Vain, then down at his hands, folded in his lap.

"Jack is coming back to school."

I stared at him, my head gone completely blank.

"That isn't funny, Nigel."

"The King told me. He's already enrolled at school again. Today is his first day." Nigel whispered.

My vision slowly tilted as my legs bucked underneath me. I fell to my hands and knees, hardly able to breathe.

"Maddison?!" Nigel gasped, and a shadow appeared as his giant hands hovered over me. "Are you okay? I can't ... You're too small..."

Yea, Nigel's not so good at the being gentle thing...

"It's okay, Nigel," I whispered, not really caring if he could hear me or not. I sat up, looking behind me to see that Vain was already gone.

His absence felt like a great loss in my chest. Whatever closeness, we had managed to achieve over the last day was now wasted. Jack was coming back, and we wouldn't be able to ignore the past any more.

The previous Jack of the hill had returned.