Chapter 127

It was funny.

That it never really occurred to me that it was physically possible to actually do that.

Kiss Vain that is.

I mean, wouldn't you get frostbite or something?

If I had to guess, I would say it would probably feel like mashing your face against a brick wall... unfeeling and incredibly awkward.

He'd probably glower at you afterwards, ask you what the point of that was, and resume reading a book or just plain ignoring you.

That's if you didn't get turned into a frog or something...

Hell, I had no idea what it might be like.

But Rachel did.

Rachel kissed Vain.

And I.... just watched it happen.

As she pressed her lips to his, Vain remained motionless, didn't respond nor resist, not until she pushed it further.

He jerked back as her hand reached up to tangle in his hair. His breathing was ragged as he trembled in barely concealed... Rage?

It couldn't be anything else, right?

Even as their lips broke apart, Rachel leaned forward, entwining herself against Vain, head resting in the curve of his neck. He held still, his chin tilted as far away from her as possible, jaw visibly clenched.

I waited for the indignation to come. The outrage, the disgust, the hurt.

I waited for some strong emotion to come forth and push me towards some sort of reaction.

Even as I met Rachel's smug brown eyes, all I did was stare at her, completely dazed.

It was like someone had press CTRL-ALT-DELETE on my brain. Everything was brought to a halt, and I was left trying to figure out what to do next.

I probably would have stayed like that forever too, if Rachel hadn't been suddenly shoved away from Vain.

By none other than Alexander Floid.

Haha, cause, you know, watching Vain gets kissed by his creepy stalker wasn't awkward enough without Alex intervening in the middle of it...

"What the hell are you doing?" Alex hissed furiously, a hand wrapped tightly around Rachel's upper arm.

In the face of Alex's terrifying wrath...Rachel giggled.

Giggled.

"Sorry sweetheart." She apologised between her laughter, and I felt my jaw physically drop. She patted Alex's white-knuckled hand reassuringly. "I'm just having a little fun with the children."

Alex's eyes narrowed in rage, but before he could say anything more, Alan appeared over his shoulder.

"Don't run off on me like that, Alex!" Alan scolded petulantly, throwing his arms over Alex's shoulders in a dramatic hug. One that forced his brother to let go of Rachel. "You know I get lonely by myself!"

"Bullshit." I heard Alex mutter venomously, just as Alan's attention landed on me and he gave me a cheeky smile.

"My, doesn't our little Maddison look just adorable? Right, Alex? Alex? Aleeeeex, why aren't you looooking?"

"Get off me, you idiot!" Alex snapped, struggling as his brother begun to actually yank on his head in an attempt to drag his embarrassed gaze off the floor.

Momentarily forgetting all that had been revealed in our last encounter, I furiously flipped them the finger... causing Alan to laugh as he finally released his squirming brother.

As the laughter died down, the smile softened, and Alan met my eyes warmly.

"You really should wear a dress more often Maddison. Otherwise, these idiots-" He slapped his brother on the back of the head. "-all tend to forget what a pretty girl you are."

I was about to feel mortified by the statement when Apollo snorted in blatant disbelief, and I had to slowly turn my head, giving him the darkest, most murderous look possible.

I'll deal with you later.

Alan really didn't have any right to be commenting on my outfit in the first place, not in the duds he had been dealt.

Not only were the outfits matching... They mirrored each other.

The Brothers looked like they had just escaped the circus.

Not that the Twins noticed my horrified reaction to their outfit, As Alex was already telling Alan to bugger off and Alan was making excuses to stay.

This gave me time to work through my trauma.

For one, they were not wearing shoes.

Bare feet lead up to black pants, each with red stripes climbing up one leg.

Over the too-tight pants, they wore loose-fitting tunics, long enough to nearly touch their knees....thank god

The sleeves of the tunic were also incredibly long and would have hung a good few inches past their hands if Alex hadn't rolled his up....as if there was any salvation in this.

The tunics were mostly white, with sections of checkered patterns, like a chessboard, with alternating colours of white, red and black.

The checkered theme continued into their masks, though where their shirts were mostly white, the domino masks were mostly black.

Alex's hair was a wild mess as always, but Alan's had been slicked back artfully for the occasion. Neither hairstyle did anything to hide the earrings.

From Alan's left ear and Alex Right, hung a chess piece, dangling from a silver, big linked chain.

The King and Queen.

Overall? Suuuper tacky.

I breathed a small sigh of relief though, to see that their eyes had returned to the usual blue and green.

Any other day, I would have snickered at their expense. Alex would have snarled at me to cover up his embarrassment. Alan would have laughed.... then returned my teasing upon me tenfold.

But today was different. It is the day after they had screwed me over.

It is the day after they attacked me...

With A Freaking Window.

"As I was saying," Alex growled, yanking Vain's chain out of Rachel's hand. "You've had enough time to play Prance the Pony."

Rachel went dangerously still, head tilting to the side as she watched Alex like a hawk eyeing a baby rabbit.

"Don't you think you're a little too disrespectful Alexander?" Rachel questioned darkly. "Perhaps I need to reteach you your manners."

Alex just snorted dismissively.

"I was taught well enough the first time around, thank you very much." Alex gritted out, scowling down at the brunette.

"Now now Alex, we're in civilised company at the moment." Alan scolded, shaking his head, disappointedly at his brother. "I know its no fun to be the odd man out, but..."

"Civilised? You think dressing them up in expensive costumes makes any of these people civilised? You have to be-"

"Hey, Alex." Alan wrapped an arm around his brother's shoulder with a conspicuous wink "Remember how I was telling you how some things should be said behind people's backs and not to their faces? That was a perfect example!"

"Shut it you condescending twat!" Alex shoved his brother away "I'll say what I bloody damn well please!"

Like always, the brothers quickly threw themselves completely into their bickering, forgetting that the rest of the planet was here.... and a good portion of its population was actually watching.

What was the point of them being here again?