Chapter 162

The tables had turned.

For too long, the universe had mocked me. Belittled me.

But look who's laughing now, World!

Sure, it could only be described as a hysterical fit of utter despair, but at least it wasn't at my expense this time.

In the face of my mirth, Alex lost his temper, face rapidly turning bright pink.

"Shut up!"

I cackled harder, collapsing to my knees as my entire body lost its composure.

The small child swore teeth clenched hard as he growled out. "This is not funny."

My only argument was to point at him, clutching my ribs as I roared with laughter.

"You're going to get us killed!" He fumed, and I swore I saw a hint of tears in his frustrated gaze.

I tried to say something to defend myself. All that came out was this strange noise. Some sort of unintelligible cross between a giggle and a fan-girl scream.

Not even Alex's personality stood a chance against the cuteness of this situation.

And he was cute. Even beaten up, exhausted and thin as a twig, the child in front of me was too peevish to be considered anything less than adorable.

The little guy's eyes narrowed in a haughty glare, biting his lip as he fought back humiliation and- Oh God.

What little self-control I had left me as I fell to lay on the floor of my cage.

For the first time since I had woken up, the music wavered.

I didn't really mind... Too busy rolling around the floor of my cage in a wild fit of laughter.

I was laughing so hard it hurt.

With heaving breaths, I tried to stop, my body trembling uncontrollably.

My insides are killing me for this...

But it was adorable.

And, well... terrifying.

"Alex? " I gasped, rolling up onto my hands and knees.

"What?" The boy demanded flatly, obviously miffed. I peered at him seriously.

"....Alex?"

He grunted angrily, turning his body away as he continued to play his instrument... A little harder than necessary.

Waddling forward on my knees until my body was pressed up against the bars, I sang out.

"... Aleeeeeexaaaanderrr... "

The boy swore harshly, finally losing his temper to yell at me from across the room.

"What the Hell do you want you ungrateful Brat?! God knows I should have just left you..."

Alex's threats trailed off as I sagged against the bars, shaking silently as I tried to breathe.

"... Maddison...?"

".... That's my name. " I said shakily, trying to reassure him with a quick smile

He just glared at me sceptically, not fooled in the least.

I laughed a little.

"Just wasn't sure..." I explained softly, barely loud enough to be heard over the music."...If the reset had affected your head as well..."