Chapter 72

I pointed at the brothers in outrage.

"Do you have any idea how worried I was!? How dare you show your faces here after-?!"

... Scaring me like that...

The brothers both turned to look at me, Alan with a sheepish smile and Alex with a guilty scowl.

I hardly knew what I was saying, didn't even know if they could hear me, but anyone could see me shaking with a mixture of rage... and relief.

"Sorry, Maddison!" Alan called with a lazy wave, even as Alex continued to grip him by the front of his shirt. "We didn't think asking Apollo to "Take us to your leader" was going to work, so we had to sort of fake our deaths..."

"GET DOWN HERE! " I screamed, my hands twitching with the urge to murder the idiots. "I'LL KILL YOU BOTH..."

"Great," Apollo said, returning to his usual emotionless state. "It seems that I have misjudged you quite severely."

He stepped back as he spoke, putting distance between himself and the Ace.

"I didn't think that you would be willing to flaunt your secret in front of Maddison." He said, sending me a cold glance. "Otherwise I would have gone to greater lengths to make sure that you stayed put."

Apollo crossed his arms, raising an indifferent eyebrow.

"So, do you intend to explain how you recovered from your injuries so quickly? Or do you think she won't notice?"

The brothers exchanged a look.

"It's... Ah, a bit much, too explain all at once..." Alan began, obviously reluctant. "So if you don't mind... maybe later-"

I held a hand to stop him. "You don't have to tell me."

"... I don't?"Alan sagged in surprise, where Alex tensed up, dropping his hands from his brother's clothing.

I frowned.

Apollo had just explained to me that I avoid hard truths, but...

"... I don't really care?" I tried to explain, crossing my arms at the thought.

"Even if you have secrets... You're still yourselves... right? And if even your Personalities aren't enough to drive me away... Well, I think I can handle most anything else..."

I glared, though it did little to cover up my embarrassment.

"All I'm saying is...I won't hate you, whether you do or don't tell me... So just pick the one you want to do?"

Alan was staring at me with a sad smile, almost unguarded for once.

I don't think he believed me. He didn't think I was lying... Just didn't trust.

"Nanotechnology."

Alan sent his brother an alarmed look, but Alex was staring at me.

Alex had been my friend for two years. Out of the two of them, keeping secrets from me bothered him the most.

Out of the two of them, he was the one who looked afraid.

"Our Mother is one of the leading Nano-technicians in the entire world." Alex struggled with every word, his shoulders so tense, you could crack an egg on them.

"She was arrested ten years ago... because she conducted experiments... On her children... Us..." He trailed off as the entire room stared at him in shock.

Nano-Tech. The thing the Shrink Program used to shrink its patients

"Alex..." I said, but the tall boy didn't look up or reply.

Alan gave his brother a sad look before turning his gaze to Apollo.

"Please, let's just end this. You know what the people behind this game are like, just as well as we do."

Apollo stiffened, and I realised Alan knew.

He knew exactly who Apollo was, and his connection to the school.

"Even if you destroy the Cards, the school will just create a new game to replace it." Alan shrugged. "Better the devil you know than the one you don't right?"

The redhead slowly began to make his way down the steps, his eyes never leaving Apollo.

"I know we don't get along, and will probably never agree on anything.... but she cares about you, and you care about her." He reached the bottom of the stairs, a small smile in place.

"So I'd appreciate it if you would... Stop this...Before you break her heart."

Apollo lowered his gaze, and for a second, I wondered if he was truly considering giving up. Then I saw his lips twist into a cynical smile.

"Those words aren't really meant for me, are they? So you already figured it out?"

"You could say that." Alan nodded cheerfully.

... Except... What were they talking about?

"You don't intend to reveal the truth?" Apollo questioned, and Alan sent an awkward glance to the floor.

"...not my place to say. I'll get in trouble if I ruin the game now anyway... "

"Suit yourself." Apollo shrugged. "I know that I speak for everyone in this group when I say, we have no intention of giving up."

At his words, the students of his gang began to move, closing in on where Jack, Robin and Alan stood.

"You're smart, Alan," Apollo said. "But you've already given up on winning. You would rather tame the fire than put it out."

Apollo scowled at the floor.

"They've taken too much away from me...from everyone... I refuse to let them have their way. Not again... "

He sent a glance at Robin.

" He never gave up. And neither will I."