Chapter 18

The King of the Hill is a game with few rules and even less supervision.

There is one objective.

Take a card.

The Jack, The Queen, The King, The Ace and The Joker.

How you get the card is up to you, so long as you remain on school grounds, anything goes.

For three years, the five cardholders of the Hill have stood undefeated.

Many challengers give up, becoming regular students or leaving the school entirely. Student's who enjoy the game continue to fight amongst themselves for Territory.

Cheaters and people who ignore the rules... Tend to disappear.

Some people are willing to do just about anything to win.

Because being a member of the Hill when you graduate... opens all the doors.

The one thing all five of us on the Hill had ever agreed on, is that we could never let someone like that reach the Hill.

Not again.

"Framed, you say?" I heard Vain mutter, more to himself than to me, side-eyeing me as he thought. I could almost see the cogs in his head, turning as he considered the new information.

"And you were just going to keep this to yourself?" His eyes narrowed as he came to his conclusion.

I kept my mouth shut, unwilling to reveal more than I already had.

Vain knew about the Hill, what was involved. He had probably already considered the possibility that my sudden fall out with the law was somehow connected to my extracurricular activities.

He was just waiting for me to admit it.

Admit that he was right.

That joining the Hill, throwing myself into the violence and distancing myself from him had all been a mistake.

I gritted my teeth, turning away from his expectant gaze.

He might as well wait for Hell to open skating rink while he's at it.

Vain sighed my at stubborn silence, knowing better than to try and press me for answers. In one way, we had always been the same.

We are both too pigheaded to share our problems with anyone else.

Especially with each other.

"So, what do they want now?" He asked bluntly, loud enough for the group around us to hear.

He sounded calm, neutral, but there was a sharp tinge of sarcasm leaking through the words. "Since they were willing to attack me with a cricket bat, I'm guessing it must be something significant."

I shifted nervously on his shoulder, arms crossed and still refusing to look at him. "Uh, well... It kind of depends on your perspective of what is and isn't important. Some people would even say..."

"Let me guess." Vain interrupted, rubbing his temples tiredly. "I can thank the Hill for this horrible head injury I just recently acquired?"

"No..." I began, only to realise that I couldn't exactly deny it....since he had pretty much hit the nail on the head right there.

Vain's annoyed look said exactly how tedious and stupid he found this situation.

"Okay, yes, it's about the Hill. But it's not what you think!" I protested.

He raised an eyebrow.

"They cheated..."

I squirmed.