Chapter 130

One of the many little knots of worry inside my chest unravelled, and I released a small sigh of relief.

I hadn't let myself think too hard about what might have happened to Nigel and Artemis since our abduction. But even as I forced myself to focus on the tasks at hand, the unease of not knowing had been nagging at the back of my mind.

Of course, they were still in great danger, but now, instead of imagining all the horrible things that could be happening to them, I got to watch.

"First, I present to you two of our more promising students from the academy." Dr Floid announced, her voice flittering with excitement.

"Our long-absent protégé, Artemis Mc'Valium." She flung a hand out to the man on her left, who bent to set the tiny boy on the floor.

Apollo stiffened beneath me, leaning forward so quickly I had to grip his jacket for balance. He didn't make a sound, but his hands gripped the railing so hard his knuckles turned white.

Dr Floid then waved a dismissive hand to the right, where Nigel was also being set vulnerably on the ground.

"And here we have Nigel Flemming, our exotic freak of nature."

Hey...only I'm allowed to talk about Nigel like that...

"These two boys are some of the most talented children we have come across in years." Dr Floid continued. "It is only their characteristic faults that have prevented them from rising to the ranks of our organisation before now. Tonight, we will give them one last chance to prove themselves worthy of our attention."

Surely she doesn't mean...

Dr Floid grinned manically up at us.

"Through combat."

The crowd cheered.

I felt the colour drain from my face.

Artemis vs Nigel

Nigel, who followed me like an over-excited puppy, so open and honest that he terrified me with his uncontrolled affection.

Artemis, who nearly cried when I killed his ice cream cone, who had been embarrassed at sharing a room with a girl. The only person who could call me Love and live to tell the tail.

I sagged forward, resting my head in my hands.

Already exhausted.

And it hadn't even started yet.

"It's going to be like watching two baby turtles fight," I muttered despairingly into my hands. "And not just because they are the size of baby turtles. I can't believe they-"

"Nonsense."

I looked up, finding Alan leaning forward with a knowing smile.

"Good-natured or not." His tone, though pleasant, held no cheerful inflection. "No one makes it onto the Hill without reason."

The redhead's gaze drifted to the people below.

"And no one keeps their place without the will to fight for it."

Biting my lip, I followed his gaze down to the boys. Even before he had said it, I had known.

Nigel and Artemis are going to tear each other apart.

"Patience everyone! Before the main event can start, some obvious adjustments need to be made." Dr Floid stretched a hand out before her. "After all, it is an insult to fight such an important duel in anything but full scale."