Chapter 71

"That. Was. Awesome!" I cried, throwing up my arms in victory.

"Best Magic Trick Ever!"

At my excited cry, the stunned silence in the room evaporated.

Jack gave a dramatic bow as I began to applaud, and I heard Vain sigh in exasperation above me.

"Why are you Helping, Jack?" He asked warily, and I couldn't help but nod in agreement.

It might seem like Jack had changed sides, but it was never that simple with him.

Seeing our caution, Jack gave us a bright smile.

"I returned to this school to rejoin the hill. I can't very well do so if the hill is destroyed, now can I?"

His smile turned gentle. "Don't worry, we can play later."

I suppressed a shiver of revulsion, trying to ignore his creepy undertone.
Well, at least Robin's okay...

Apollo and the Ace's eyes remained locked on each other throughout the exchange, Robin's honey-coloured eyes meltingly intense.

Now that the hood had been removed, the petite girl's chestnut curls twirled about her face wildly.

Poker-faced as always, the Ace was completely unscathed, proving that Jack had been lying about her all along.

With a strangled noise, Apollo managed to overcome his surprise.

"What the Hell Robin?!" Apollo shouted, pointing an accusing finger at the silent girl as all his evil composer vanished. "You're supposed to be in the hospital..."

He was suddenly cut off as the Ace of the Hill slugged him in the face.

You know....again.

Apollo stumbled back, a hand flying up to clutch at his already injured face.

"Robin...?!" He tried again only to receive another swipe to the head.

But she didn't stop there, continuing her assault even as her fiancée tried to speak.

Apollo began to back away from the girl, narrowly avoiding her rapid attacks as he spoke.

"Stop!" Duck. "Trying to...!" Dodge "...Hit me." Block "Damn it!"

Reaching his last nerve, Apollo used his advanced speed to grabbed hold of Robin's wrists, effectively stopping her attack.

"Tell me what's going on!" Apollo shouted, glaring at the smaller girl in frustration.

The Ace met his glare with a slight frown, biting out a single reply.

"Ice-cream." She said, completely deadpan.

Apollo thought it over,
Long and hard.

"...Ice-cream...?"

Yep.

Ice-cream.

Everyone stared at the girl, so confused that question marks were almost physically appearing above their heads.

A collective WTF? echoed silently across the room.

Except for Jack, Apollo and I, of course, seeing as we were used to the Ace's weird thought process.

Robin rarely said more than a single word at a time.... and never made any sense.

"Sorry," Apollo muttered, sagging in defeat. "I should have known better than to ask."

"You promised." She spoke again, more quietly this time.

Apollo looked up in shock before comprehension settles in.

The hurt look that crossed his face made Apollo look incredibly younger... and far less confident.

Feeling like I was missing half the conversation, I watched on as Apollo hesitantly reached out touch Robin's cheek, only to pull back at the last second, a conflicted look on his face.

"I know. We both did." He said, letting go of her wrists. "Turns out neither of us are very good at keeping our promises."

He stepped away, and Robin made no move to attack or follow.

She wasn't really an expressive person at the best of times... But the way her eyes lowered miserably to the floor...

Her heartbreak couldn't have been more obvious if she had burst into tears.

I felt my shoulders sag at the sight.

The Ace of the Hill is an enigma...

But some things are just plain obvious.

I felt my throat grow tight, and I had already opened my mouth to speak when a sudden cheerful voice pierced the room.

"It's not too late, you know." A familiar voice called, and all heads turned to look up at the grandstand.

"Wrong. I'm not letting that little punk surrender before I get the chance to beat the crap out of him. "

My heart stopped beating.

"Now now, brother, violence is not the answer. Let us make peace..."

Alan...

"Never. That cheeky little bugger stole my emergency packet."

Alex...

"More like confiscated..." Alan chuckled appreciatively. "A righteous little soul, isn't he?

I could practically hear Alex's teeth grinding from here.

"I want them back. Plus interest."

Alan rolled his eyes, giving his twin a smile. "That's hardly fair, Alexander. It's no one's fault but your own for picking up the filthy habit in the first place."

"I'll show you fair," Alex growled, leaping to his feet in outrage.

I watched in amazement as Alex yanked his brother up from where he had been sitting causally in the grandstand, and soon both brothers held each other by the collar, fighting from only inches away.

It was impossible.

I had seen them injured.

Unconscious on the floor.

So I couldn't understand how they could be here, bickering with each other like nothing had happened.....

A knot of fear I hadn't realised I had been feeling suddenly unravelled in my chest.

"You Idiots!" I screeched.