Chapter 105

"I can't believe it," I whispered.

"What?" Nigel asked quietly, looking at me in concern.

"We were successfully rescued." I met Nigel's eyes, sure that my face showed my utter disbelief. "By Garmen and Havoc."

"Maddison..."

"Don't you understand what I'm saying, Nigel?!" I gripped the tall boy by his shoulders "Garmen and Havoc actually did something without screwing it up completely and getting us all killed!"

"Please...don't Jinx it, Maddison." He begged urgently, but I was too overwhelmed by the surrealness of the situation

"I mean, there are so many ways that could have turned out wrong." I continued, staring at my hands as they trembled. "I hate to say this, but I think you and I just witness an actual miracle."

"Bad-mouthing someone while sitting on their person is considered somewhat rude in some circles of society..." Garmen muttered, calmly leaning against a wall to peer around a corner. "...Or so I have been led to believe."

I stared at him in disbelief.

"As a man who unabashedly admits to eavesdropping on a daily basis..." I said, trying to break the news to him delicately.

"I don't think you're qualified to lecture anyone on polite social conduct."

Garmen frowned slightly.

"...I'm starting to suspect you have a drastically low opinion of me Miss Trampth."

Having made sure that no one was about to ambush us, Garmen rounded the corner, making his way to the elevator at the end of the hallway.

"I just call it as it is." I crossed my arms mercilessly, not giving an inch.

With a polite cough, Artemis leant forward on Garmen's other shoulder.

"I hate to interrupt, but... I'm rather concerned. I feel I must warn you, Mr Garmen... Interfering may not be the... Wisest choice..." The gentlemanly boy spoke hesitantly, obviously unsure of how his words would be taken by the giant Supervisor.

Where I was stress yapping, Artemis was becoming increasingly quiet. Sorting out his own worries silently.

"I'm sure you are aware that... Infiltrating the Shrink Program... As well as hacking your System... is no small feat..." He continued softly when no one spoke to fill his pause.

"As much as I appreciate you helping us... Antagonising them really isn't in your best interest. "

Garmen stayed silent, mulling the words over until we reached the elevator at the end of the hall.

"... I can't speak for everyone at the Shrink Program since we have yet to officially determine the identity of our attacker..." He started professionally...

"... But I personally don't give a damn who they are, and have no intention of giving them what they want." He ended in a dark growl.

Only a stubborn idiot would say something so bold...

I could respect that sort of thinking.

"But you do know... Right?" I began nervously. "That the people responsible for this are... You know... Them."

Garmen sent me a cold look from the corner of his eye as the elevator door slid open.

"Just to clarify... Who exactly do you believe they are Maddison?" He asked, the use of my first name making me swallow in sudden terror.