Chapter 12

"Oh good, company. I needed a workout," I grinned as the group of teens came towards us.

Five boys and one girl, a parade of messy uniforms and violent intent. Under their jovial mood, the group watched Alex cautiously, guarded and wary of how he would react to their presence.

Like a pack of hyenas sizing up a lion.

At my remark, Alex scoffed, and I felt his giant fingers wrap around my waist a second before I was being lifted up from his knee. My hands shot down to clutch the fingers around me, mentally shoving back the anxiety the moment it surfaced.

I must be getting better at this, I only missed one heartbeat that time.

"Not happening." Alex drawled sarcastically, glancing at me warningly as he placed me down on top of his bag where it leant against a tree. He must have seen the slightly hurt expression on my face because he gave me a sadistic smile.

"Don't try to cut in line kiddo, I saw these losers first. They're mine."

Seeing the eager edge to his smile, I couldn't help giving him an amused smirked in return. This is the thing I like about Alex.

There was literally no way that I could take on a group at this size, and we both knew it.

But, unlike Vain, Alex did me the kindness of going along with my delusions and bravo talk.

Because he understood how it felt. What a huge burden it could be.

To have an ego the size of a planet.

"Let me guess," Alex said, lazily climbing to his feet. He crossed his arms, staring down at the group from his slightly raised position on top of the Hill. "You guys didn't come here just to admire my pretty face."

His grim, unamused tone made the words more intimidating than any blatant threat.

The group looked amongst themselves nervously, then one who seems slightly less moronic than the rest stepped forward.

"I see that there is only one of you today." He commented nonchalantly, hands shoved into the pockets of his uniform. As he spoke, I recognised the boy.

Not by name, just the fact that I had kicked his face in the last time he had come here looking for a fight. Good times.

"Two actually," Alex corrected, shifted his weight so that he no longer stood between the group and me.

I was momentarily surprised that he had revealed my presence... Alex rarely went out of his way to stir up trouble, and I'm pretty sure he found most fighting to be a chore.

Eyes fell on me, causing me to stiffen at the mixture of surprise and... Ambition that flickered through their gazes.

"I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you." Alex intervened sourly. "Since it only takes one."

The girl, who was probably new since I couldn't recall ever kicking her ass before, placed her hands on her hips, smirking. "What makes you so sure?"

Even though I could only see his back, I could still tell that Alex was smiling.

There is a difference between being cocky...

The same evil, knowing smile that was threatening to curl my own lips.

... And just plain confident.

"Have you come to take the Hill?" Alex simply asked, choosing to ignore the new girl's question.

She'd figure it out for herself soon enough.

Hesitantly, the leader nodded, throwing down the gauntlet.

Before the boy could even finish the movement, Alex crossed the space between them and slammed his fist into his face.

"Then you shouldn't have stopped to chat."

The boy fell backwards silently, too stunned to even react.

Recovering from the surprise, another boy swung a fist at Alex's head. Using his left forearm to deflect the punch downward, Alex then swung his right in an uppercut, knocking the boy flat.

Obviously, this group had decided death.

I sighed, taking the time to sit down with my chin resting on my hand. Fights like this happened often, and it was in no way a coincidence. It was all part of the game.

The King of the Hill.

A game that has been a tradition here for years. From the moment the school was built, Scholarship students had been recruited solely for their ability in combat.

To prove their skill, they fought and competed against each other. All so they could be one of the five to sit on the Hill.

Most of the normal students are unaware of the silent war that goes on around the school. Even once given a scholarship, the game is optional. But students, scholarship or not, often get sucked into the game regardless.

Because being one of the five when you graduated opens all the doors.

Alex and I were part of this elite group and were often challenged for our position.

It had been when I joined the group that things between Vain and I had turned sour.

Within the minute, Alex had four boys lying on the ground around him. The girl and one other boy had run off during the fight.

He must be in a good mood today.

Alex stretched his arms up, twisting back to look at me. "Did I beat the record?" He asked, walking casually back to where I sat watching.

I rolled my eyes. "Not even close."

He grinned and was about to say something when one of the boys struggled to his feet. Even as blood ran from his nose, he threw himself at Alex's retreating back.

I couldn't help but wince in sympathy.

Should have stayed down.

Alex twisted, avoiding the first aimed at the back of his head. In the same movement, he brought his own fist around, slamming it into the stomach of his would-be attacker. The boy gagged, his knees buckling beneath him.

With an irritated noise, Alex gave the kid a semi concerned look.

I scowled slightly. "A little harsh, don't you think."

Alex held the boy by the collar of his uniform, now the only thing keeping him standing.

"Never could hold back my temper when it came to cowards." He murmured, trying to look into the slumped over kids face to check if he was conscious.

I rolled my eyes.

"You're such a..." I began to say, only to freeze mid-sentence.

In the past, I have faced down hoards of evil delinquents with only an amused smile.

But now, my face grew grave with terror.

Because Vain stood just a few feet away.

Arms crossed, with a furious look on his face.

Dead.

I am soooo dead.