Chapter 173

"They're getting rid of the evidence... " I clarified. "With explosives? While we're still in here?"

Geez....some people can just not be trusted to handle their TNT responsibly...

Garmen seemed equally unimpressed.

"What did you do, Floid...?"

"Time to go, children!" Alan announced, hanging up on Garmen firmly as he strode towards us.

"Our window of opportunity is about to close."

Also... Explosions are a thing now...

In the next instant, Alan was at Vain's side, giving him a cheerful smile as his only warning before scooping us up, just as he had back in the ballroom.

I held onto Vain's jacket, managing to keep my feet under me even as he was swept off his own.

"Not this again." I groaned, nowhere near ready for another trip on the Floid express.

Vain scowled in agreement but knew just as well as I did that the only thing complaining would do is put Alan in a good mood.

Of course, the Evil creeper goes out of his way to traumatise us....that's his thing...

Resigned to his fate, Vain pressed me against his shirt front, securing me for the ride ahead without a single word.

"Stay with Nigel!" Alan called cheerfully to his brother, not sparing either boy a second glance as he took off at a sprint.

My hands clenched into Vain's jacket at the sudden burst of momentum, reluctantly grateful for the weight of his fingers at my back as we went from zero to full speed ahead.

Alan seemed to know exactly where he was going, navigating the hallways at a breakneck velocity.

At this rate, we would get to the computer in no time...

Which begged the question... Why the sudden urgency.

A moment ago, we had bee eating chocolate and chatting on the phone... But after the explosion, Alan was taking extreme measures to get us to where we needed to be now...

If it were anyone else, I would say it was a coincidence... But Alan didn't seem all that shocked by the explosion in the first place.

So if he knew it was coming... That means he had been waiting for it... No.

"Stalling..." I shoved myself up as much as possible, peering accusingly at the redhead past Vain's hand. "You lying scumbag! What are you up to!?"

Alan rolled his eyes at the hostility, about ready to dismiss the accusation.

"Nothing... "

"No." I snapped, voice sharper than even I expected. Alan sent me down a surprised glance, even slowing a little as I glared up at him.

I didn't care if now wasn't the time for an interrogation.

When stuff starts blowing up, I want answers.

"Robin, Apollo and Artemis are still down there somewhere," I said, expression grim. "So you are going to tell me what's going on, now."

He took a moment to absorb the demand, expression unreadable before he gave me a cheerful smile.

"I can't say for sure since I had nothing to do with it." He answered easily, taking a sharp left.