Chapter 144

"And that is how Vain became indebted to me for the rest of his life," Alex concluded, the same way normal people say and they all lived happily ever after.

I stared.

And stared.

Yet, no matter how hard I looked at it, the hallucination just wasn't going away.

I knew not eating for hours was going to have devastating side effects. NanoTech healing or not, my mind was the one that couldn't cope.

.... Where had Alan managed to find a full set of finger puppets that looked like us anyway...

Then again, he probably made them himself...

"That is not how I remember it... " a staticy voice grumbled in my ear.

"You were under the influence, Alex." Alan cut his brother off with a wave of his finger puppet adorned hand. "Your testimony is invalid."

"Pretty sure I'd remember smoking a cigar and talking like a Mafia boss Alan...."

"Just fly the helicopter, Alex."

Yea Alex.

Concentrate on flying the freaking helicopter.

The one we all sitting in right now...

Ha. ha. Ha ha. Hahahaaaaaa.

I want to die.

The moment we landed the catapult jump of almost certain death, Alan finally put Vain down and proceeded to celebrate...

Like a literal, solid minute of him just dancing and laughing about how his descendants were going to remember this day for generations to come... poor little buggers.

In fact, he hadn't stopped until Alex came jumping through the hole our escape had made, taken one long look at his idiot counterpart, and promptly dragged him by the ear across the roof.

Vain had followed as Alex silently dragged his whimpering brother to the parked helicopter, still caught up in whatever it is that makes him go all creepy ninja when the Nanotechnology reacts to Alan's pain.

The lack of actual words didn't seem to stop Alan from interpreting Alex's lecturing silence.

...it wasn't exactly hard, even for the people who don't share a brain with him.

By the time Havoc made it to the roof to stop us, we were taking off in the conveniently parked helicopter.

Alan made sure to wave goodbye.

Now, my head ached with the air pressure and the sheer sound of the propellers thrumming, despite wearing the shrunken helicopter helmet/radio thingy Alan just happened to have laying around.

Gee, it's almost like he planned for this to happen...

As sexy as the helmet and ball-gown combo was, I didn't really appreciate having Alan's voice chattering in my ear for the last half an hour.

The only sign that maybe God really does have a merciful bone in his body is the fact that the helicopter.... the one Alan and Alex were trained to fly and had stashed on the roof of the Mc'Valium mansion, on the off chance that they would need to catapult themselves out of the building and make a quick getaway.... was a six-seater.

That meant that I got my own seat.

Not that I took up even a small fraction of the available space.... and it wasn't even remotely comfortable as it vibrated with the movement of the helicopter.... but it was the first chance I've had to sit on a piece of actual furniture in hours, so it was going to take more than one of Vain's worrisome scowls to talk me out of it.