Chapter 28

I was expecting Alex to at least smirk when he saw me.

If not outright snicker.

What I wasn't expecting, was for him to punch Nigel flat in the face.

It had taken a while, but the three of us had finally managed to find the redhead. Sitting on the ledge of the huge water fountain near the entrance of the school.

It was one of the many places Alex liked to hang out while ditching class.

Right in plain view, laughing right in the face of The Man.

Once we located him, Vain held my jar while Nigel energetically explained what had happened, using his retrieved trumpet to help him mime some of the scenes.

On a regular day, Alex avoided the little ray of sunshine at all costs. Rarely having the energy to put up with the level of enthusiasm Nigel could unleash.

He was better at it than me, even going so far as to use me as a scapegoat to escape Nigel's attention.

Demonstrating the fantastic ability to ditch us both simultaneously on each other.

Alex's face had remained blank after his initial surprise, listening to Nigel's explanation in calm silence.

But, like with most people I knew, calm wasn't a good thing when it came to Alexander Floid.

The moment Nigel had finished his report, Alex stood up slowly from the fountain, brushing off his pants.

He met the taller boys eyes in a way that gave the impression that he was looking down on him.

Then proceeded to punch him in the face, sending the Joker falling to the ground with a surprised yelp.

It startled me enough to make me jumped back, wincing in sympathy.

Sure, Nigel couldn't feel it... But I had been on the receiving end of one of those punches, and I knew how quickly they could make your head spin.

Nigel sat up slowly to stare up his attacker, resembling the kicked puppy he truly was.

Nigel and Alex had a strange relationship.

Devote hero worship on Nigel's part...

... Which Alex had no idea how to deal with and was incredibly uncomfortable with the fact...

... So return Nigel's affection the best he could. With begrudging tolerance and impatience.

"It's times like these... " Alex drawled, giving the fallen boy a disgusted look."That I wish you could feel pain Nigel Fleming."

All in all, Alex was not a good role model.

"Then I wouldn't have to point out that after being hit in the head with a cricket bat, dislocating your own thumbs to free your hands and who knows what other idiotic acts of self bodily harm you have managed to accomplish in a short time, it is very likely that you are severely injured."

Oh, yeah...

Alex reached out a hand toward Vain and I, indicating for Vain to pass over the jar.

I glanced nervously between the fallen Nigel, who was trying to make himself as small as possible so as not to attract attention, and Alex, who was obviously in a terrible mood.

I kinda don't want to go...

Alex wasn't looking at me though and didn't notice my frankly terrified expression.

He met Vain's eyes coldly, his blue and green eyes warning that he wasn't in the mood for arguments.

"How about you be useful for a change, Vain? Do me a favour and take this moron," He sent a scathing look at the cowering Nigel. "To the infirmary."

Vain looked about to say something... Unflattering... When Alex concluded.

"Get yourself checked out while your there. Or die from an undiagnosed concussion. Up to you."

After a slight pause, Vain handed the jar over to Alex, either seeing the wisdom in Alex's words or just deciding it wasn't something worth dying over.

Vain then bent over slightly, meeting my eyes through the glass.

"I'll be back soon, Maddison. Please try to stay out of trouble?" He asked, for once not hiding how worried and tired he was behind cold indifference.

A clear indication of brain damage, I'd say.

I glared back at him in response.

"What trouble am I supposed to get up to in here?"

He just shook his head, straightening up and going over to give Nigel a hand up.

"You'll think of something."