Chapter 86

I slowly opened the door to my apartment, zombie walked across the room, and face planted into the bed.

"Stupid train," I muttered bitterly into the bed covers. "Stupid Punks. Stupid Supervisors. Stupid Apollo hallucination."

Just what I needed, actual proof I've gone insane...

Sighing like the life was being drained out of me, I flopped over onto my back, staring at the ceiling.

"I know that I saw him," I muttered dejectedly. "... But they weren't lying about him not being here..... Which leaves me... With absolutely no logical explanation whatsoever. Thanks, ceiling, you were so helpful..."

The ceiling didn't dignify me with a reply.

Still grumbling, I grabbed the pillow, covering my face with its softness.

Damn it world, how could you bless me with stunning good looks and a charming personality, only to completely forget to put in a brain? It's not fair...

A soft alarm went off, signalling that it was six pm. The one hour of the day when phone lines would connect to the outside world and patients would be free to call their families.

I teared up a little, removing the pillow and sat up.

The merciful universe had heard my pleas and sent me a distraction.

Even now, I could hear it saying Just shut up and call your family so that both of us can take a break from your complaining.

Which was good enough for me.

I got up, walking to the other side of the room to the small white desk.

My living quarter really only consisted of a small bedroom, which was starkly white and empty but for the bed and desk, and a bathroom.

The glass in that room was frosted over, providing the barest amount of privacy necessary.

Yep, sitting pretty in the lap of luxury here.

I sat moodily down at the desk, glaring at the phone.

It was one of those old corded ones...Probably because it was harder to steal a big bulky dinosaur of a phone.

Picking up the headpiece of the Prehistoric Phoneasaurous, I dialled the number to my house.

When a cheerful ringing sound came, I immediately set the speaker down on the table.

And waited.

A moment later, sound exploded from the phone, signalling that my parents had picked up.

Unfortunately, my mum and dad just couldn't seem to grasp the fact that, just because I'm far away, they didn't actually have to shout into the phone for me to hear them.

"How's my little Trouble Maker!"

"Maddison dear! Please tell me that you are behaving yourself over there, sweetheart."

Warily, I picked the phone up, drawing it closer to my face... but not quite game enough to actually place it next to my ear.

"I'm great! (Lie) Of course, I'm behaving myself. (Lie) I'm not stupid. (Presenting her majesty, the Queen of all Lies)

"Have you made any friends yet?" Mum asked worriedly. As if I were on a camp and not at a correctional facility.

"Of course she has! Who wouldn't want to be friends with my little girl?!" Dad's voice rose a couple of octaves, mortally offended at the prospect of someone might not actually worship his daughter.

"So, I'm guessing that Devin still isn't talking to me." I interrupted, quickly changed the subject,.

"He's still a little upset Sweetie..."

"You know what he's like Mad."

"Yea...." I smirked. "A total baby chicken."

"Exactly." Dad agreed, and he and I both proceeded to make exaggerated chicken noises over the phone.

"I seriously don't know why I even bother!" Devin seethed, listening in on the phone call using the house's second-hand set.

I heard a slam as he hung up.

Awww.

I sighed, amused by my little brother's 'angry so pretending not to worry' routine.

"How about Monica?" I asked eagerly.

"She's right here, want us to put her on?"

"Sure." I grinned.

Phone conversations were sort of strange with Mon since she didn't actually talk.much.... but I wouldn't give a single one of them up for all the chocolate in the world.

And that's saying something.

A small shuffling came, and the silence that represents Monica's presence filled the phone.

"Hey Monica!" I said enthusiastically, unconsciously hugging the phone to my ear.

"You're making sure to look after Mum and Dad, right? You have to make sure that they eat all their dinner and get to bed before seven, okay? Otherwise, they're going to wake up grumpy, and that's going to drive poor Devin up the wall. Make sure to look after Devin too right. Remember, if he's not having enough fun, you have to annoy him until he plays with you. Don't worry about me okay? I'll be back before you can say Hippopotamus!"

Since I was saying this to Monica, I knew my chances of keeping that promise were pretty good too...

"I miss you, Maddison."

I froze. My body, my smile, my heart. That tiny voice on the other end of the line stopped my entire world.

I want to go home.

Realising that I had just been sitting in rigid silence my eyes blindly staring at the wall, I cleared my throat.

"I miss you too Mon." I struggled to keep my voice from falling into a whisper. "I'm trying my hardest, promise. I'll be home before you can get past the Hip in Hippopotamus."

Knowing that if I said anymore, I was going to start crying, I gently hung up the line.