Chapter 107

"Reece!" I cried out in warning.

It was too late. I knew it was.

Jack was too close.

That's why what happened next took me completely by surprise.

My little Reece, who looked like a baby lamb with his soft white curls and gentle expression, spun rapidly in a low roundhouse, sweeping Jack's legs from underneath him in an instant.

I stared in awe, once again confronted with the fact that Reece was a total badass.

One of these days I'm going to regret underestimating this guy...

Too stunned to recover, Jack landed flat on his butt, giving Reece all the time he needed to close the distance between them.

The petite man slammed his small fist into the taller boy's face, snapping his head back with the blow and making even me wince with the complete lack of hesitation.

I know Jack is the ruthless bad guy here... But geez, ouch...

To his credit, Jack keeps silent as he fell back onto the floor. He lay unresisting, even as Reece knelt over him with his fist raised.

There was no doubt in my mind that Reece was about to hit the fallen boy a second time.

That was until Reece suddenly froze in his assault, his back to us going rigid with shock.

From where we stood on the floor, I couldn't see what exactly Jack had done to make Reece stop.

I opened my mouth to call out encouragement to Reece... Maybe a little too enthusiastically... only to stop when a hand touch my shoulder.

"Come on Love, don't stand around lollygagging." Artemis hand slid to my wrist, pulling me with him.

He pointed over to Nigel, indicating that the taller boy should go around the desk on the far side. Nigel bit his lip, obviously not liking the lets spilt up plan, but nodded and sprinted off in the opposite direction from us.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, following along reluctantly as Artemis began to jog.

"Not sitting around like a duck Sweetheart." He said, causing me to frown in irritation.

"But..."

.. I wanted to watch...

That's when Jack started laughing.

It was gentle, his voice revealing nothing but honest amusement...and that's how I knew he had somehow found a new way to screw us over.

Though Jack was scary, he wasn't strong, not compared to most of us on the Hill.

That is why he always had tricks up his sleeve.

As we moved around them and towards the glass doors, I was finally able to see what had made Reece stop his attack.

Jack held a small vial of clear liquid up before his face.

Between him and Reece's fist.

"Ah, you figured it out so quickly!" Jack said to Reece, still chuckling softly.

"I thought that I would have to explain. I am holding something you want. Something quite...breakable."

Before Reece could reply, Garmen struggled up into a sitting position, using the desk to prop his back against.

Honestly, I was surprised he had it in him.

Looking like he could pass out at any moment, Garmen turned his hazy gaze onto Jack.