Chapter 140

Under Winkle's intense scrutiny, Alan stood relaxed, an amused smile quirking his lips.

If it wasn't for the fact that his usually flawless expression didn't quite reach his eyes, I might have believed that he was unfazed by this turn of events.

Somehow, this was a hiccup in Alan Floid plans.

But what did this mean for Vain and me?

After a moment's silence, Alan shrugged.

"I guess you could say that I'm going for round two of the Rebellious phase..." He explained nonchalantly. "Couldn't let Mother Dear get away with her dastardly deeds and all that jazz... "

"How noble of you," Winkle commented flatly, not seeming to buy a single word. Alan just shrugged, his smile taking on a mocking edge.

"Someone has to do it. Besides, it was stop her, or have Alexander pout at me with my own face until the end of time. Scary. "

"As simple as that, is it? " Winkle murmured, sceptical gaze unwavering.

"Of course." Alan smiled.

Though there was no obvious threat, Havoc shifted, and my hands clenched, both of us distinctly uncomfortable as the two stared each other down in leaded silence.

Even before all of this, I couldn't trust Alan as far as I could throw him, but at least back then I used to be able to toss him a short distance...

Now, I'd be lucky to win a thumb war against the guy using my whole body.

If it came down to trusting Alan or bailing out into the safety of the Shrink Program, It's obvious which one is the wiser choice...

The rising tension only broke when Vain finally lost his temper.

"Seriously? You're doing this now? Do you intend to have this entire conversation right here where we could literally be attacked at any moment?!" He hissed, his hands coming up to support me as he squirmed in Alan's hold.

I swore sharply as the chest I had been standing on moved beneath me, making me cling to Vain's pale fingers to keep my footing.

Inconsiderate jerk. How dare he even breathe when I'm using his body as a pedestal.

"Because if this is indeed the case, I would greatly appreciate it if you would put me down," Vain demanded, voice low and slightly scathing.

Ah... good point. Still stuck in a comprising position here...

Alan sent him a scandalised look.

"You don't like it?

Vain stopped moving, going still as he held the tall boy's gaze seriously.

"... If I had the capacity to do so, I would forcefully remove your arms myself....then bludgeon you with them."

Alan tsked, not making a move to put the fuming boy down.

"Such a fussy little thing you are."

"Congratulations on officially proving that Sadism is an inheritable trait Floid."

"Now that's just mean."

There came an intervening cough.

"Ah... I hate to interrupt, but... I don't believe we've met?" Havoc questioned, pointing confusedly at Vain. "Is he on our side...?"

Vain grimaced, sending a cold look at the idiot who had dared interrupt him in his quest for freedom.

"That depends. Is your blue hair an indication of the amount of oxygen in your brain?"