Chapter 134

From the moment I woke up in that stupid dollhouse, I knew that I was definitely stuck up a certain infamous creek without a paddle.

I was in a bad situation, one that had become increasingly worse with every passing moment, to the extent that it was almost laughable.

Hell, at the announcement of the Underground's plans for world domination, even the most pessimistic of people would think it was safe to say 'things can't possibly get worse'.

The shock of finding myself still sinking after hitting rock bottom only made the last straw a heavier burden to bear.

As Nigel screamed, Artemis stood frozen, eyes wide with growing horror, earning himself the ire of the crowd as the room was filled with jeers and shouts. For all, they still wore their elegant clothing and held themselves with arrogance, the high-class members of the Underground, were quickly becoming a bloodthirsty rabble.

Artemis took no notice, seeming to forget his purpose as all his earlier determination evaporated in the face of Nigel's suffering.

I, on the other hand, trembled with rage.

The hardest part of being shrunk isn't the inconvenience, the loss of independence, or the frightening size of the world around me.

Its the fact that being small has robbed me of the ability to fight. The option I relied on the most, my first reaction to every conflict, was now lost to me.

I'd taken it well. Spent my time sulking on the sidelines, even managed to think my way out of a few scenarios. Through it all, I had always been acutely aware that there was no chance of me winning a physical battle against my giant adversaries.

Nigel screams were morphing into sobs as the boy tried to regain control, curling into himself as his body was overloaded with agonising sensation.

And that sound drowned out all the logical voices in my head that tried to tell me I wasn't strong enough to stop this.

With a darkly superior smile, Dr Cassandra Floid looks down at the two boys.

"Continue." Dr Floid demanded flatly, eyes cold above the smirk.

And I moved, for once not wasting time on words or passionate outcries.

Without a sound, I turned and threw myself from Apollo's shoulder.

"Don't...!"

There was no plan, no clever way of saving the day. I had literally no idea what I was going to do.

My body just refused to do nothing.

And I knew Apollo felt the same way, as I saw Alan quickly grab his arm, yanking it up against his back and instantly pinning the smaller boy as he started to move.

The sudden display of speed and strength, the realisation that Alan had been holding back all this time, wasn't what worried me.

Because I knew, he was still just the brains of the operation.

And what I had to contend with was the muscle.

"Maddison!"

The outraged roar went ignored as my feet hit the marble floor.

Then I was running.

Which, honestly? Really sucked.

I was still wearing a dress after all, and that made the whole affair incredibly awkward on top of dangerously suicidal. The jump boots helped a lot, adding a boost to every step as I weaved my way through the sea of expensive shoes.