Chapter 35

"Devin!" I cried, throwing my arms open as my little brother opened the front door.

"Did you miss me?"

Devon blinked.

"Don't you know better than to ask stupid questions?"

I wilted.

"...when I say stuff about you being adopted from Hell...you know this is the sort of thing I'm talking about right?"

"Come in Vain." Devin invited with zero attention given to me or my feelings, stepping back out of the doorway to give Vain room to enter the house.

Knowing better than to get involved, Vain walked through the threshold with a polite nod, placing his bag beside the door.

"Ate you staying for dinner?" Devin asked as the three of us headed towards the kitchen. "I normally cook for five, and with Maddison being so small, it seems that I've made extra."

My gaze narrowed suspiciously

As if such a thing would ever happen under Devin's meticulous care. Vain won't fall for such an obvious trap...

"If your parents don't mind," Vain replied formally.

I instantly felt betrayed.

You sly little...

Devin rolled his eyes at Vain's words. "You'll be lucky if those zombies notice you at the table."

As we entered the kitchen, a sharp tomatoey scent immediately invaded my senses. A distinct sign that we were having spaghetti for dinner.

Monica looked up from where she was drawing at the kitchen table, spotting me on Vain's shoulder, still depressed from Devin's lack of love.

Stupid, heartless brother, should have abandoned him in the wilderness when he was too little to find his way home.

When my youngest sibling saw me, her small face lit up in a smile. Just like that, I felt the trauma caused by Devin melt away like snow under the sun.

"Monica!" I called happily, giving the cute little girl a big wave. She waved back shyly, and my heart nearly tore out of my chest with its urge to go to her.

"See Devin!" I cried, pointing excitedly at the little angel in my kitchen. "That is how you're supposed to treat you're loving older sister when she returns from a hard day's work!"

Devin raised an eyebrow.

"Do you want to eat tonight, Maddison?"

"...yes sir."

"Then you know what to do."

"Right. Shutting up now..."

With that settled, Devin sighed, hands on hips as he turned away.

"Dinner is almost ready, would you mind setting the table for me Vain?" Devin asked as he walked over to Monica. "You remember where everything is right?"

"Of course," Vain answered obediently, abandoning me on the table.

Not like I wanted to stay on his shoulder anyway.

Devin leaned over, brushing back Monica's golden curls. "Could you go get mum and dad out of their office for dinner, please? I'll put your drawings away."

The little girl nodded, sliding out of her chair and eagerly trotting out of the room.

Devin met my eyes briefly, causing me to straighten up expectantly.

Like everyone else who had even been in Devin's kitchen, I was a well trained soldier...ready and willing to die for the cause.

After a moment, my brother turned away with a tsk, dismissing me with a muttered "useless."

As everyone went about their jobs, I just huddled in a tiny ball of loneliness on the table, making sure that my uselessness didn't affect anyone else.

"Hello, everyone." My dad greeted with a yawn as he and Mum stumbled their way into the kitchen. He waved at the room in general with the hand that wasn't holding Monica's.

His thick glasses sat crookedly on his face, giving the impression that he had fallen asleep at his desk again. Mum didn't look much better, making any claim that they had been actually working hard to believe at best.

"Hello, Mr and Mrs Tramph." Vain greeted my parents pleasantly.

Deceptive little Monster.

"Hello, Vain dear." My mother said, happily walking over and giving the pale boy a hug. "It feels like such a long time since seen you in so long. You really should visit more often."

It's only been two years, Ma...

"Sorry, Mrs Tramph." Vain smiled down at the blond woman, comfortable with the physical contact. "I'll try to visit more often."

I twitched.

Why does that feel like a threat?

"Where's my little Trouble Maker?" My father asked as he helped Monica up into her seat.

Little? Insensitive much?

"Sitting at the table," Devin answered. "Being as helpful as ever."

Dad chuckled. "Then your mother and I will have to join her. We useless people need to stick together."

Devin just muttered darkly as Mum and Dad hurried to their seats. Vain joined us at the table when Devin brought over a giant bowl of spaghetti to be self-served.

He paced a small bowl in front of me. One of the ones that had been provided along with all my other miniature items. In it was something closer to tomato soup rather than pasta, but the sharp look in Devin's eyes warned me to keep my opinion to myself.

"So, how was your first day back at school Maddison?" Dad asked cheerfully.

I just groaned.