Chapter 163

I am going to survive this.

If only for that short, sweet moment when I can take off this dress. This cursed piece of fabric that has brought me nothing but misery.

And burn it.

Maybe even perform a ceremonial dance in the ashes...

Sure, there was a lot more on the line here than just my life.

The lives of my friends for one thing. The whole world domination gig, also an issue.

But the point is, I deserve to set something on fire.

Which means we cannot afford to Screw. This. Up.

.... Further.

Hence, I was completely justified in trying to draw everyone's attention to the fact that Alex's violin had gone flying in the fray, with the natural consequence of no more music.

Which was kinda important, since it meant Jack was now on his way to kill us all... And away from me and my most recent experience with death...

Unfortunately, speaking my concerns did not have the desired affect...and only stood to make things worse.

The moment I opened my mouth, Nigel finally stop swinging Alex around and turned to look at me, golden eyes widened as he finally saw the state I was in.

Not that I could really blame him for not noticing earlier. A babyfied Alexander Floid is a sight I know better than to compete with.

Still, we had more important things to worry about than me being a little on the formerly deceased side, so I did my best to give Nigel a reassuring smile.

As it turns out, reassuring smiles don't really cut it when you're covered in blood and pale enough to count amongst the undead.

Needless to say, Nigel proceeded to freak out.

"Maddison!" With Alex still held prisoner in his arms, Nigel was hovering over my cage in an instant. "Are you okay?!"

I backed up a step, hands raised as if to ward off the intense concern vibes.

Trapped under the worried gaze of the only guy in the world who would call an ambulance for a paper cut...don't ask... Not to mention that other guy who looks about ready to murder someone if he doesn't get answers fast...

I did my best to reassure everyone in the room that, no, I wasn't on the brink of death.

Been there, done that...

"Would you believe..." I took a deep breath, pinching the bridge of my nose. "I fell in a puddle of tomato sauce?"

...It could happen.

"... Your dress has a big bloody hole in it, Maddison..." Nigel sounded almost apologetic for pointing out the flaw in my alibi.

"...I have a very unique sense of fashion."

Despite my efforts even Nigel... Sweet, sweet Nigel... Wasn't going to fall for my bullshit this time... Or even go along with it.

"... I'm sorry..."

Just like that, all hopes that I could somehow avoid dealing with feelings and just focus on the ever-approaching death went up in smoke.

"I couldn't stop him from taking you away." Nigel lowered his head shamefully, arms clutching so tight around Alex that it forced a small noise of pain from the child. "...I'm never able to stop anything."