Chapter 24

Apollo lifted the playing card up to eye level, studying it under the light of the courtyard.

The golden artwork that marked it as one of the playing cards of the hill glimmered brightly, framing the monochromatic artwork of the Joker figure.

I dragged my hands down the side of the glass jar, practically leaving claw marks in my frustration.

As soon as I got back to normal, I was going to rip this guy to shreds. As soon as I get out of this jar, I'm going to at least give it a try.

"Um, do you think maybe you can take the cuffs off me now...?" Nigel began to ask, only to be ignored.

"So. Was it worth it?" Vain asked flatly, speaking for the first time since Apollo had entered the courtyard.

I sent him a shocked look.

There was no doubt in my mind, Vain couldn't care less about the game. He would put our physical well being over the cards any day.

So why would he provoke...

"Ruining the life of another, over a flimsy bit of paper. Not to mention putting yourself on the wrong side of some dangerous people. "

... Oh. He's angry.

"Seems rather stupid, if you think about it."

Apollo turned more to face us, meeting Vain anger with bored nonchalance.

"Um... It's not like they hurt, but it's not exactly comfortable either...." Nigel continued almost apologetically.

"I couldn't care less what the people on the Hill think of me," Apollo responded blandly, both of them completely ignoring Nigel.

He held up the Joker card, pinching a corner in each hand.

"Since I have no intention of joining them there."

He tore the card in half.

My eyes widened.

Game over.

I dropped to my knees, too shocked to even stand. We all watched on as Apollo continued to rip the card, turning it into little flecks of gold.

"It was never our goal to gain a place on the Hill," Apollo said, staring at the shredded card in his hands.

He looked up, meeting Vain's eyes coldly.

"We aren't going to take the hill, we are going to destroy it."

He dropped the remains of the card, dusting his hands of the paper.

Sending an evaluating look towards me, he moved to leave the courtyard.

"Now that the Joker card is destroyed and we have the Jack as a hostage, defeating the remaining three cards will be almost too easy."

Jack as a hostage... Me? As in they're seriously taking me with them?!

I sent an alarmed glance to Vain, who had turned his head to send me one of his own.

Our eyes met, frustration curling my hands into fists as I fought not to ask him to save me.

Not only would it be embarrassing... But it would most likely get him hurt as well.

Seeing the stubborn look on my face, Vain's eyes narrowed. He knew that I didn't want him to interfere.

So, of course, he was going to do it anyway.

I groaned when Vail's gaze turned to Apollo, the cogs in his head turning rapidly.

This wouldn't end well. Back when we were young, Vain had had his own way of dealing with bullies.

Even as a kid, Vain really had a knack for... well, making people feel like dirt.

He would call people out on all their personality flaws, rub salt into every emotional wound, insecurity, and pretty much judge every action harshly.

When it came to a verbal battle, Vain was deadly accurate, and rarely held back his punches.

... Which kind went a long way to explaining why so many felt the need to beat him up in the first place.

Damn it. I knew going with Vain was a bad idea. Now he's going to get himself killed... Or at least maimed or something

"....Well, this is really awkward...."

Not now Nigel...

"But, Um..." Nigel laughed nervously, drawing the tense attention of everyone in the courtyard. "Do you think that it's too late to mention that Joker card has a secret trick?"