Chapter 21

-Two years earlier-

Panting, I raised a shaky hand to wipe the blood from my chin.

Around me six senior boys lay groaning, clutching their injuries and fighting off unconsciousness.

...I had let them get a single hit in before returning the favour.

Tenfold.

I grimaced at the sight of blood on my hand, bending down to rub as much of it off on the grass as I could.

... At least everyone learned a valuable lesson today.

Quality beats Quantity.

I couldn't say that the fight had been easy, or that I had come out unscathed, but it was clear from the start, I had the advantage in skill and experience.

It was thanks to those things, as well as a great deal of luck, that I had managed to last this long.

The first time one of my classmates attacked me, I'd been shocked. Since then, the number of unprovoked attacks had only grown, to a point where it was becoming a nearly daily thing.

In the last three months since coming to this school, I had been in more fights than ever before, with no apparent reason as to why everyone suddenly felt the need to make my life a living Hell.

It seemed the more fights I won, the more people came to challenge me.

Which was understandable, but I still couldn't figure out why there were so many delinquents at such an elite school in the first place.

They sure didn't mention them in the fancy brochure...

Hopefully, the statement I had made today by beating this group single-handedly was worth the sore knuckles and bloody lip.

Cause it would be a real pain if I had to kick the butt of every student in the school just to send the message not to mess with me.

I sighed, straightening up tiredly.

This was the year I planned to start my life as a teenage girl. Starting high school was going to be my chance at making normal teenage friends and trying normal teenage girl things.

My cheeks reddened at the thought.

Ever since Monica had been born and the realisation that I now had a baby sister... part of me wanted to become...

I stared down at my scuffed knuckles.

... Gentler.

Besides...

I winced, shoving my hands into my pockets.

...It would worry Vain if he knew I was constantly running around brawling with half the school population.

Especially after I promised both him and Devin that I wouldn't fight any more...

Someone whistled appreciatively behind me, catching me completely unaware. I spun...

But there was no one there.

"Wow." Commented an impressed voice from above. "This wasn't what I was expecting."

I glanced up, paling when I saw the speaker nestled up in the branches of the tree.

A lanky boy grinned down at me, the light shining through the trees making his wild golden hair shine.

For once in my life, I couldn't think of anything to say.