Chapter 36

Vain left after a very talkative dinner.

It had been a long time since he and my family had had a chance to hang out, and my parents had used this chance to catch up on every aspect of his life.

Promising to pick me up in the morning for another day of torture, Vain wander back over to his house alone.

At this point, there was nothing I wanted to do more than go to sleep in my tissue box, the one that I had been using for the last three nights.

Stubbornly refusing to enter the mini apartment the Shrink Program had provided.

With that in mind, I glanced over at Devin, where he was doing the dishes with Monica.

The dishes were supposed to be my job.

As well as cooking, Devin had been doing them for the past couple of days.

Along with the washing, vacuuming, dusting and just about everything else around the house. Over the years, with our parents constantly working in their office and me always making myself scarce, Devin was often left to maintain the household by himself.

If Devin had been the one to be shrunk, everyone in this house probably would have died by now.

Monica squealed, scaring me out of my thoughts. I jerked upright, watching as Devin blew little soap bubbles at her. The normally silent girl giggled, happily brushing away at the soap suds.

I smiled, deciding to leave them alone.
Standing up, I wondered over to the edge of the table. My tissue box was in the living room, so it shouldn't take me more then ten minutes to reach it if that stupid kitten didn't try to eat me.....

Just as I was about to jump off the table, prepared to use my jump boots to land safely on the chair below, Devin spoke, not even looking away from the dishes. "I threw your tissue box in the bin Maddison."

All the bubbly love I had been feeling evaporated.

Mindful that Monica was in the room, I slowly turned around, a pleasant smile frozen on my face.

"Why did you do that, Devin?"

Devin turned around, pulling the plug in the sink. After drying his hands on the towel Monica was holding, he picked the little girl up.

"Because she won't be needing it anymore, right, Monica?" He asked the little girl, who nodded excitedly in answer.

I gritted my teeth in outrage, unable to unleash my wrath upon him in front of Monica.

How dare he use her as a shield... it's not fair.

Carrying Monica, Devin walked over to where I stood on the table. With a raised eyebrow, he reached a hand down, palm up, for me to climb on.

Devin wasn't one to force me. He was patient enough that I knew he would never grab me or make me do what he asked.

No, the evil jerk would just let me do what I wanted....which would be something undoubtedly stupid. Then let me stew in my own juices till he saw fit to rescue me.

After considering the hand for a second, I wisely decided that taking his offer now was far better than facing his ire later.

Glaring at him rebelliously, I did exactly what he wanted.

Lame, I know, but did I ever claim to have a spine when it came to my younger brother?

"You're going to be sleeping in your apartment from now on."

His words made me stumbled as I climbed up onto his hand. Okay, was there any to reply that didn't involve screaming...? No. better just shut up then.

I sat down on his palm silently, my brain still searching desperately for something that I could say in front of Monica.

"I thought I made it very clear that I didn't want to use the apartment, Devin," I muttered between my smiling lips.

He began to walk, carrying both Monica and me towards my room.

"I know Maddison, but I'm busy enough as it is without having to babysit you. That's why..."

We reached the doorway to my room, and Devin put Monica back on the ground. She hurried forward, opening my door and switching on the light.

I had been trying to avoid my room ever since becoming five inches tall.

Something about seeing personal items you used to handle with ease now at a gigantic size was just...wrong. Not to mention it was all a constant a reminder of how puny I've become.

"Monica and I did our best to make your apartment more appealing," Devin informed me as we stepped into the room.

My eyes were immediately drawn to the miniature apartment that had been abandoned on the floor of my room, and whatever sarcastic comment I had prepared completely escaped my mind.

The originally white walls of the dollhouse-sized building had been painted a mixture of bright pink, yellow and green, with purple handprints scattered along the walls.

All our names, even Vain's name, were painted on the walls in childish blue handwriting, and there were glittering stars glued everywhere.

"You guys graffitied the apartment." I could feel tears coming to my eyes. "Just for me?"

Devin smirked, rolling his green eyes a little. "Monica did most of the work."

"That's my little delinquent!" I cried happily, grinning at the little girl. She grinned back proudly.

Devin crouched, bringing me level with Monica's face. She held still as I planted a kiss on her giant cheek, giggling when I made exaggerated slurping noises.

"Well then, take me over so that I can inspect the premises!" I demanded, and Devin did so with a sigh. He set me down in front of my house, and I stood there, studying the house with my hands on my hips.

My siblings sat behind me, One of them bigger than the actual building itself.

Imagine the look on their faces when I returned this beauty back to the Shrink Program.... made me grin with Glee.

"This is Awesome!" I spun to look up at Devin. "When did you..." The words died an instant death in my mouth.

Devin's had been looking down a Monica when I turned, and I accidentally saw what he had been hiding behind his long curls.

Along his jaw, was a forming bruise.

The reason why had been keeping his back to me... had avoided getting into a conversation with me or drawing my attention... ever since I had come home...

Became very clear.

Even with Monica right there, I couldn't stop the rage that bubbled over.

Feeling very cold, I met Devin's eyes as he finally looked back down at me.

"Who. Hit. You. Devin?"