Chapter 60

Just as quickly as it came, the smile disappeared, leaving Apollo with a bored expression.

"See. You catch on quick."

He sat back down with a sigh, reaching lazily into a draw under the bench.

"We still have some time." He told me, holding up playing cards.

From the thinness of the pile, I could tell that he was short of a complete deck in his hand, just like his head.

"So let's play a game."

I scowled.

"Don't you think it's a little unfair to challenge me to a game of Snap under these circumstances?"

He scowled back. "Lucky for you, I had a different game in mind. All you have to do is watch and listen."

"But...That sounds hard..."

"Just shut up." He set the deck down without shuffling and gently lifted the top card.

"There is a lot of symbolism behind playing cards. Each card has many different meanings and interpretations, depending on its picture and suit." He held up the Jack of Clubs.

"This card, I feel best represents you." He placed it directly in front of himself.

"The Jack, the Servant of Royalty, or more accurately in your case, the champion of the Hill. And Clubs, the suit that represents the solider, as well as intelligence, youth and irresponsibility. "

"...uh...Thanks?"

Card symbolism, huh? Who knew Apollo would have such a... interesting hobby.

"Even though it is the lowest in rank, the Jack is not necessarily the weakest of the court cards. Just like how the Joker card had a duplicate... "He grimaced at the reminder.

"Your own rank has its own perk. As the Jack of the Hill, you have the right to interfere with any challenge given to the cards above you."

He traced a finger along the edge of the card.

"That is the Jack's purpose on the Hill. To filter out the weaklings. And that is why taking you from the Hill is such a crippling blow."

"I know this already." I frowned down at my lap. "Jack used that privilege way more than I ever have."

Ignoring my comment, Apollo picked up the next card and place it off to the side.

The Joker.

"Nigel, the trump card, has been removed from play for the time being." He raised his gaze to me, watching.

He seemed to be waiting for a reaction, so I scowled.

I hadn't forgotten who was responsible for putting our Joker out of play.

The next card he picked up was the King of Spades.

"This card represents me," He placed it directly in front of my own card. "Spades for wisdom, King for conqueror. And also... "

He pointed at the picture on the cards. "Of all the Kings, the Spade is the only one looking in the right direction.

I rolled my eyes.

Next, he picked up the Ace of Diamonds, placing it faced down in the centre. "Then we have the unknown Ace of the Hill, hidden somewhere in the school. Despite my best efforts, I still have yet to figure out their identity."

He wasn't the only one. The Ace prefers to stay anonymous... And as uninvolved as possible.

Apollo picked up the Jack of Diamonds from the deck.

"This here is Jack. Motivated by ambition and a servant, just as much as you." He placed it to the side. "Only to a third party."

He picked up another Ace, this one for Hearts.

"The Ace can be considered both the highest as well as the lowest card. This card represents Vain." He placed the card opposite the group that contained the two of us, closer to me on the bench.

"Why is Vain a heart?" I asked.

"The heart suit can represent nobility, emotion, love, childhood and vulnerability."

"...Why is Vain a he-?"

"The only reason that he is involved in this is because he wants to help you, Maddison." Apollo murmured, picking up two cards and placing them next to Vain's on the table. "And now, we have the King and Queen of hearts."

"I'm guessing that they are the King and Queen of the hill?"

"Yes...." Apollo paused, studying the cards with an unreadable expression.

"Unlike the other cards, these two are more like their respective chess pieces. The Queen exists to protect the King, and when protecting the King, the Queen is the strongest piece on the field. But, should the King fall, they both become useless."

I winced.

Apollo was incredibly well informed...

"Are all these cards meant to represent our locations," I asked, staring down at the cards before me.

"Exactly right." He picked up the remainder of the deck. "But the most important cards have yet to be put out to play."

He started laying out the cards, and I felt my heart sink. Soon, the hearts Group that represented Vain and the others was being followed by four number cards and following the two of hearts themselves.

"An ambush?" I asked, and Apollo just smirked.

"Hardly." He said, laying down four more cards. "The real Ambush is over here."

I stared, as the four highest cards surrounded the Joker.

Nigel...

I sat up in outrage.

"But he's in the hospital!"

"So?"

"So he isn't on school grounds. How are you going to attack him without getting caught?"

"Oh, yes, that reminds me." Apollo lifted his phone. "Smile Maddison."

I just gaped at him as the sound of a camera snap came from his phone.

"Problem solved." He said, typing something into his phone.

"What did you do!?"

"Just sent the Joker a message. Nothing you need to worry about."

How does he even have Nigel's number!?

Apollo placed his phone down on the table. "Now, there is just one last move I need to make in this card game of ours."

He picked up the Jack of Diamonds. "I may not know the identity of The Ace of the Hill." He slapped Jack's card down on top of the Ace of Diamonds. "But I know someone who does." He grinned menacingly at me.

Only members of the Hill know the identity of the Ace...

"And he has a bit of a grudge to settle."

Jack was the only person in the school who knew the Ace and would be willing to hurt them...

"That's..." I stared at the cards in horror.

Apollo had ceased the possibility.

"This time Maddison." He said, meeting my gaze seriously. "I intend to defeat you all at once."