Chapter 31

I stared up at Vain.

"The hospital? Is he-?"

"He's relatively fine." Vain murmured, taking a seat beside Alex on the fountain. "The problem is he can't tell them where the pain is. They need to do tests at the hospital to find out what is and isn't broken. The nurse said that he should be back in a day or two...if there aren't any complications."

"Damn." Both Alex and I sighed, slouching in disappointment.

"I thought.... that we might have finally gotten rid of the idiot this time," Alex muttered, tucking my jar into his bag.

"There's always next time." I soothed, taking a seat on Alex's leg
.. not in his lap damn it.

Vain scoffed a little to himself. "Your concern is so touching."

Both Alex and I, despite our words, couldn't help smiling in relief.

Nigel was an absolute pain in the neck sometimes, running around getting severely injured at the drop of a hat. The only way to stop the idiot from constantly injuring himself was to trap him in a hospital.

The fact that the meeting under the hill would have to be postponed only added to our relief.

So, of course, Vain chose that moment to say the one thing that would crush all these good feelings.

"Maddison, you have to get back to class."

I groaned, slouching down in defeat.

"Do you really think that's a good idea?" Alex said, glaring over at Vain. "After all, these people are obviously trying to capture her, and, forgive me for saying this; you are completely useless at looking after her."

Vain didn't look up, hiding his expression.

Without warning, Alex wrapped his giant fingers around me, causing me to hiss at him in anger.

Ignoring my protests, he lifted me up and placed me on his shoulder. I stumbled, regaining my balance and my dignity by sharply yanking on a strand of his hair.

Alex stood, making my stomach drop as he unfolded to his impressive height. He paused, glaring down a Vain where he sat on the edge of the fountain.

"I think it would be better if she stayed with me from now on."

What?

I jerked to look to Alex in surprise. It wasn't like him... To volunteer for anything... Especially not babysitting.

But the way he was glaring down at Vain, that barely contained smirk on his lips...

He almost seemed to be enjoying this.

I was about to protest to being treated like a toy to be passed around. Then Vain lifted his head with a smile.

When I saw that calm, peaceful smile, my body screamed at my brain to shut up and play dead.

It was our only chance.

"That's fine by me," Vain said politely, making my blood run cold. "I have some questions, though." He stood, meeting the taller boy's eyes calmly.

"Do either of you know what ten qualifications are needed to pass the Shrink Program evaluation?"

We didn't.

Both Alex and I stayed silent, some part of our brains warning us not to even try and defend ourselves. It would make things more painful for us in the end.

"No?" Vain asked, taking a step forward. "Then perhaps you know the seven things that will result in an immediate extension of her program? Or the dates and locations of her council meetings? The numbers to call if she is hurt or missing?"

He took another step towards Alex, closing the distance between himself and the taller boy. Alex's shoulder was tense beneath me, frozen in place like a dear caught in the headlights.

Vain's tilted his head up slightly, his polite smile shifting into a smug smirk.

"Do either of you even know what class you have next?"