Chapter 154

A part of me wanted to close my eyes... Just to spite her.

Make them watch, you say? Who has the power now? Mwhaha...

That part of me was quickly escorted to the crazy corner and left to rot by the multiple parts of myself that realised that annoying the giant psycho is only going to end in one way.

With me as a bloodstain on the floor.

Who am I kidding. Even if I don't go out of my way to annoy her, I'm still going to die. That's right, today's the day you die Maddison Tramph, so act brave, God's probably scouting you for heaven right now.

"Okay. Listen, lady." I stood, brushing down the ball gown I still wore... Damn, I wish there had been a chance for me to change into something a little bit more suited to saving the world... I would even take tights and a cape at this point...

"As much as I want to prolong my life by having you monologue..." Wait a minute, that plan doesn't sound so bad... "Unfortunately, I've just about reached my quota for callous, self-important speeches for one lifetime."

I gestured firmly at her.

No time to berate myself for being an idiot.

"So let's put aside the fact that you scare the living crap out of me, because that's a given, and concentrate on the fact that you are the one at a disadvantage here."

Cassandra didn't say anything, but I could hear the way her bones creaked as she clenched her fist.

Okay. Negotiations seem to be going well.

"Even though I don't know what exactly the Shrink Program did... And my understanding of this technology stuff is very limited... Ah, it's at least obvious that your system isn't working... " Wow, I should get a gold star for that deduction because that was just a work pure genius right there.

"Ahem." I cleared my throat nervously, having another go at sounding intelligent. "Not because you haven't tried to kill us with it yet, but because, If it was, you wouldn't be talking to me like this."

I waved a dismissive hand as I began to pace.

"You're too Vain. You'd use your sexy doctor body, or Rachel, or anything that didn't look like a dying husk."

Cassandra laboured breathing suddenly cut off, the only sign that what I had said had hit a nerve.

Insulting an elderly, probably dying (if there is a God) woman's looks may be a little below the belt...

"CORRECT. "Dr Floid spoke calmly, unnervingly so. "WITHOUT DIRECT ACCESS TO MY SYSTEM, THE SHRINK PROGRAM HAVE NO HOPE OF HACKING INTO IT. TO INTERFERE, THEY HAVE TAKEN CONTROL OF THE SATELLITE I USE TO SEND COMMANDS FROM THE SYSTEM TO THE NANOTECH. THE ATTEMPTS I MADE TO SIMPLY TAKE CONTROL OF ANOTHER SATELLITE HAVE BEEN MET AT EVERY TURN. I CAN'T GET THROUGH THEIR DEFENSES, YET THEY HAVE NO WAY OF STOPPING ME FROM ATTACKING. AS IT IS, WE ARE AT AN IMPASSE. "

Nice to see that we can discuss this in a nice logical manner...

"Right." I agreed hesitantly, not trusting her casual acceptance. "So here we are, you completely helpless and outnumbered, and us, very much pissed off with you and willing to take advantage of the situation. With me acting as their eyes, it's only a matter of time before the Shrink program hacks into your system. So..."

My pacing slowed to a stop as I looked up at her.

"Why am I still alive again?" I bit my lip nervously. "Now is pretty much your chance to... You know, do away with me or whatever...."

An excellent question. But here's a better one.

In what way does reminding her that killing you is in her best interest actually help in this situation?

"LIKE I SAID." She breathed nonchalantly. "I WANT THEM TO WATCH."

Which leads us back to square one.

Forcing my arms to cross in a defiant stance, I met her gaze with as much bravado as I could muster.

"Why do I get the feeling that I'm the only one here who believes you are out of options here."

She actually smiled.

"LIKELY BECAUSE YOU ARE VERY OBSERVANT. "

Ah.

"Your system... " I started, struggling to keep the growing nervousness from my voice.

There it is.

"NO MADDISON." She interrupted triumph shining in her mad blue eyes. "MY SATELLITE."

The other shoe has been dropped.

I didn't say anything, knowing that I wouldn't have to wait long for an explanation.

Bragging is the best part of winning, after all.

"I INVENTED THE LINK SYSTEM." She leant forward in her chair. "THE FIRST SELF-SUFFICIENT SYSTEM CAPABLE OF WORKING INDEPENDENTLY FROM ANY COMPUTER. IF THERE IS ONE PERSON ON THIS PLANET THAT CAN STILL HOLD THEIR GROUND WITHOUT A FULLY FUNCTIONING SYSTEM, IT IS ME."

...okay, she may have a point there. So it's no big surprise that she has something up her sleeve.

My arms dropped out of their crossed position, hanging limply at my sides. My eyes remained on her face though, bluntly determined.

We can handle this. Between both of them, Alan and Vain must have overly convoluted backup plans for their overly convoluted backup plans, and they had the toughest kids from my school to use as chess pieces...

"TELL ME, HOW DO YOU SEND A MESSAGE WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO SATELLITE?" Cassandra spoke, interrupting my not so confident thoughts.

Great. Just when you think the evil rant can't get any worse, she starts asking the audience to contribute...

"The postman?" I tried, cause who doesn't love playing guessing games with the criminally insane?

Cassandra went very still.

"DESPITE WHAT YOU MIGHT SAY ABOUT MY APPEARANCE, I'M NOT THAT OLD."

Strange. I thought all those comparisons I made to you being a dinosaur were strictly inside my head...

"NO MADDISON. BEFORE SATELLITE..."

She smiled in a way that made me want to curl up in a corner and cry. Even before her next words crushed my hope.

"THERE WAS RADIO."