Chapter 159

Go left.

Great advice. Truly, words of wisdom. Can't fault that logic.

Right up until I find myself at the end of the corridor, trying to figure out which direction I'm supposed to go...

You know, for the next hundred turns I'm going to have to make to escape this Hell-hole.

I like Robin, really, but there is something seriously wrong with the people in her family.

Though I don't know what it is exactly, it should definitely be made an official mental disorder, and be given a fancy scientific name.

One that rhymes with Crazy.

Rubbing my forehead to ease the pure frustration accumulating in my temples, I took a moment to convince myself not to chase the giant man with the bloody sword down and abuse him for giving me crappy directions.

Hey Maddison, this is your brain calling. I know that I've been neglecting you lately, but I'm here for you now.

I hope you realise that, by getting yourself killed, you'll be taking the entire family down with you.

That's why the boss has asked me to offer you a... A little persuasion.

You see, I happen to have access a lot of... Private information. Stuff that someone may want to keep secret if you know what I mean.

So let's not do anything stupid, okay kid?

"So much for an easy solution to my problems." I sighed, opening my eyes to glare calculatingly at the latest screw up of my life.

Okay, I can figure this out. I'll just use my abnormal brain to deduce an answer from thin air.

Blindly trusting my Subconscious has never failed me in the past right?

Fretfully, I began to pace.

He's set me off in the right direction. This is a starting point, so as long as I don't backtrack past this point, I won't get more lost than I am now.

... Just try to think like a Linquesta, trust your instincts and sense the lefty vibe...

A squelch came as I stepped in something wet. I froze, already getting the sinking feeling I wouldn't like what I would find as I slowly looked down.

Please don't be blood. Please don't be blood. Please don't be blood. Please don't be blood...

The metallic scent hit me as I lifted my foot back out of the dark puddle.

The lab was dark.

But I didn't need the sun in its full shining glory at my side to be able to figure out what exactly I had just stepped in.

Tests conclude that we have blood positive.

Stifling the urge to scream, I looked away from the blood, letting my eyes roam the dark hallway before me.

If I didn't know to look for it, I probably wouldn't have spotted the odd gleams in the dark, where dark liquid reflected the distant fluorescent light.

...Following the trail of blood works too.

I groaned, imagining the tedious search in the dark for tiny drops of red liquid.

... It's just going to take a while.

Not that A While was anywhere near an accurate description of next the gruelling chapter of my life.