Chapter 13

If me ditching him wasn't enough to spark Vain's temper, then me ditching him to hang out with Alex likely did the trick.

The two stared at each other silently, tense expressions clearly saying that both wanted nothing more than to erase the other from the face of the earth.

And here I was, thinking that I was the one in trouble.

Alex and Vain had a history of single-mindedly expressing their dislike for each other, to the point that it was almost a tradition to try and tear each other a new one before any business took place.

The face-off was doing nothing good to my nerves, and I was almost tempted to speak up if only to disrupt the building tension.

Then, with a sigh, Alex let go of the boy he had been holding up, unceremoniously dumping the kid on the ground.

Vain grimaced in disapproval, crossing his arms almost impatiently as Alex took a step towards him.

"So..." Alex tucked his hands into his pockets, lazily stepping over a fallen student as he made his way closer to Vain. "You wanted to see me so badly, you came all this way to pay me a visit?"

The red-head raised a sardonic eyebrow. "I'm touched."

Even from my seat on the bag, I could see Vain's glaring eye twitch dangerously. "I suggest that you refrain from playing dumb with me, Alexander Floid. Your IQ is suffering enough as it is."

Oh... Ouch. That's the sort of comment he usually reserves for me.

Alex took another light step towards Vain, closing the distance between the two. Despite the overbearing closeness, Vain glared coldly up at the taller boy as Alex made a point of towering over him.

"You're lucky I'm in a good mood today Maziric "Alex murmured, the sharp edges of a threat veiled under the cheerful tone. "Otherwise I would take you aside to have a little talk with you about your serious lack of babysitting skills."

I fluffed up with indignation.... but voted against opening my mouth at this point.

Probably the wisest decision I ever made.

"How long was it before you even noticed that she was gone?" Alex leant in close to Vain, openly showing his anger as he glared at the pale boy from only inches away. "What could have happened to her in the time it took for you to drag your nose out of your book?"

I felt a bite of guilt at the words, but Vain didn't even flinch, seemingly unphased by the sharp criticism.

Alex straightened, taking a step away from Vain as he gave the delicate boy an unamused smile. "Then again, it's not like you care what goes on between us dirty little delinquents. Right, Ice Queen?"

Vain's frigid glare certainly didn't seem to disagree with the statement.

When he spoke, the words measure and calm, but nonetheless frosty.

"I don't really care what you think of me and my methods Floid. I am here to support Maddison, not control her."

After a tense moment, Vain smiled, the soft expression somehow colder than any of his previous glares.

"I wouldn't start throwing rocks in glass houses if I were you. After all... "

The smile disappeared without a trace.

"You knew bringing her here would lead to this..." He sent a meaningful look at the fallen teens scattered around. "...yet you did nothing to prevent it. Lazy as ever I see. "

The atmosphere between the boys was deathly cold, and as much as I was enjoying them fight it out like men... Moral debate being so bad-ass and all, I think it is my cue to leave.

Pretty sure I'd take a punch in the face any day rather than get caught up in this sort of warfare.

Seeing my chance to escape, I slowly stood up, preparing to climb off the bag and up the tree.

Before I could take a step, Vain's sharp red eyes snapped to me. I froze in terror, not even breathing as his eyes narrowed accusingly on me.

"Don't. You. Dare." He warned, the edge of real anger turning my blood to ice. "You've caused enough trouble as it is."

I backed away a step. Almost instinctively.

Vain only has three expressions.

Calm, Pissed, and so incredibly pissed that he looked calm. Unfortunately for me, his face was frozen in the third option.

At my apparent intimidation, Alex shifted, putting himself in between me and Vain's glaring eyes.

"And what exactly makes you think you're the one wearing the pants around here?" He asked.

Vain sent him a sharp look, but his calm tone betrays none of his ire.

"Maddison, as always, is free to do whatever she wants. However..." Vain stepped around Alex, walking towards me. "If she wants to return to her normal size, she needs to attend classes. It is a requirement of the Shrink Program."

He stood towering over me, his massive frame blocking out the sun and his shadowed expression radiating calm.

I almost flinched.

If it had been anyone else, I would have snapped at them to go lecture someone who cares.

But I knew Vain better than that. He stood arrogantly, showed nothing but cold authority because he was expecting to be rebuffed. To have his good intentions and worry for me thrown back in his face. Again.

Whether it be a cocky attitude or cold indifference, we all hide behind something when we're afraid of being hurt.

Behind Vain, Alex sent me a look, asking if I wanted him to save me from almost certain death.

With a sigh, I smiled over at Alex. "Vain's right." ow... That hurt my tongue... "I better head to class. See you later okay?"

Translation.

There's no reason for us both to die.

Alex scowled, but I paid him no more attention as I nodded my permission to Vain... too scared to actually talk to him directly.

Being with Vain was like dancing on thin ice. Every small misstep caused cracks to form beneath our feet. I knew that we should stop now before ice shattered beneath us.

But the fragile nature of the dance only made it harder to give up on.

I felt more than saw his large hand reach down towards me, instinctively closing my eyes as the shadow of it fell over me.

Even though I logically knew that Vain wasn't going to hurt me, the idea of being handled by him when he was so upset made me flinch at his touch.

He must have sensed the small motion because his huge fingers hesitated around me.

When they didn't move, I opened my eyes, seeing that he had crouched in front of the bag and was watching me in concern. Or at least in the emotionless Vain version of concern.

I was horrified to see my own pale face reflected in the thin glass of his square glasses. That expression was one that didn't belong on the face of Maddison Tramph.

"Calm down Maddison." Vain murmured quietly, causing me to redden. "It's just a Science class."

"Shut up!"