Chapter 66

There was nothing I could do.

The twins were out cold, the trap door still shut, and Apollo had just unleashed his inner ninja turtle.

Even if I hid, even if I stalled for time, there was no one coming to help us.

Apollo didn't even bother to look at me as he took the cards from Alan and Alex's unconscious bodies, and neither of the twins stirred as he left them on the floor.

Tucking the cards into his pocket, Apollo picked up another jar off the bench, walking towards me.

Then and there, I regretted putting myself on the floor.

Apollo's legs towered above me, seeming to stretch on forever.

Even the deep sound of his footsteps reinforced how much bigger he was compared to me.

He came to a stop, the toe of his shoe just in front of me.

I had to tilt my head all the way back just to look him in the face, my body taking an unconscious step backwards.

"Take off your boots and gloves and get it the jar," Apollo said, staring dispassionately down at me. "Both of your friends here have suffered severe head injuries, so if you want me to call the nurse to come and get them, I suggest at you shut up and do what I say."

He was so mad.

And I didn't even dare to apologise... Let alone argue...

Pale, I slid my gaze down from his cold face to look at where the twins lay motionlessly.

At this size, there was nothing I could do to save them.

Without a word, I pull my gloves and boots off, throwing them off to the side.

Apollo crouched down, reaching out towards me.

I shook as the giant fingers filled my vision, wrapping around me.

He was rougher than before, his movements callous as he plucks me from the ground and drops into the jar.

Before I can even look up, the lid was screwed on tight above me.

The jar is another one of his custom-made prisons, though not as fancy as the rest.

At least there are air holes...

True to his word, Apollo called the school infirmary, briefly telling them what had happened and where they would need to go.

The school would handle it from there, attending to the twin's injuries and.... dealing with them afterwards.

At this point, it was pretty much certain that they would be expelled.

Whether or not they would be taken away like Jack had been...

I watched through the glass as Apollo hung up and briskly walked back towards the bench, pulling out a backpack from underneath.

"You're just going to have to suffer the dark Trampth," Apollo said as he lowered my jar into the dark depth of the bag I felt a twinge of panic. "I'm not in the mood for any more delays. "

It wasn't as bad as before with the sack, but the idea of being trapped in the bag wasn't a comforting one.

....wait. Suffer the dark?

"Apollo?" I questioned, and for some reason, my heart was racing with terror. "How did you know that I was afraid of being trapped in dark places?"

... He had been angry when he found out his Minion had stuffed me in the bag.

Apollo gave me an expressionless look.

I could tell, from the moment he found out about the Ace, that something had changed in Apollo.

... Between him and me.

He was cold, cruel, and I recognised that the detachment of betrayal.

The Ace was someone Apollo knew, someone he trusted.

Finding out that she was part of the game he despised, finding out that he had indirectly hurt her, had hurt Apollo very badly.

Thanks to me, he had found out in the most painful way possible.

I should have just kept my mouth shut.

"Devin told me," Apollo answered bluntly, slipping my jar into the bag. "Why else do you think I approached him that night? I was investigating your weaknesses."

Slowly, I nodded, feeling my heart calm.

Still... I didn't quite... Believe him.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked, and Apollo's face darkened.

"To our real leader. "

I watched his cold face, right up until the point he zipped the bag shut.