Chapter 168

"There's no way..." My cage shook as Alex started trembling.

That was enough to finally drag my attention away from the sight of Robin patting Jack.

Ooh boy, that's a thing...that is still happening.... despite me having already pinched myself.

My mind must have been shielding me from this horror all along and was still trying to do so since I was having a rough time excepting the fact that Robin knew Jack. ... Or Experiment 3181523....or whatever his damn name is.

There may be nasty rumours going around that I'm secretly smart, but no.

Alex's a brat, Jack's a bird, Vain knows how to shoot a gun and Robin apparently has a tragic back story now.

I'm way past the point where I can deal with this shit rationally.

The only person who seemed to have any inkling as to what was actually going on was Alex.

Of course, Alex hated having the wool pulled over his eyes.

Despite having many secrets of his own, The redhead had never tolerated my white lies, acting prissy whenever I tried to hide something bothering me.

Misery loves company, so he often grumped at me until I relented and grumped back.

Now, Alex's eyes blazed with distrust, jaw clenched as he glared at the Ace of the Hill.

"You can't remember."

Robin turned her head, just enough to pin the unnerved boy with her honey-coloured gaze.

"I do ."

Alex shook his head roughly in denial.
"Bullshit!"

"Um..." Nigel shifted nervously, inching closer to where Robin was still in arms reach of Jack. "Maybe now isn't the best time..."

Unfortunately, Nigel was way too easy to ignore.

"What are you talking about?" Vain demanded, not taking his gaze, or his aim, away from Jack. "How does she know Jack?"

Alex stiffened, years of instinct, making him hesitant to spill the beans. He even sent me a brief glance, almost guiltily.

"Robin spent a bit of time in the lab as a kid... back in mother's glory days," Alex said with an almost hysterical edge.

Vain flickered a glance over to us, obviously confused.

"I met you once when I was eight. It's not that far-fetched... "

"She was four."

Four.

The number made my jaw drop.

My grandmother had died when I was four, and I could barely even remember her.

How was it even possible for Robin to remember Jack... enough to know he had a different name...that she had taught him to... smile?

God... I'm never going to get used to that idea...

No one seemed to have an answer, and Robin didn't seem all that bothered by our confusion, returning her attention to the shuddering boy still under her hand.

Jack didn't seem aware of us at all. Locked in memory or to lost to even make a move.

"I was six by the time Cassandra stop letting me visit." She corrected, almost absent-mindedly.

As if six was a huge improvement.

Alex glare became guarded, narrowing with distrust.

"What did she do to you-?"