Chapter 174

The moment we passed through the threshold, Alan slowed to a brisk walk, crossing the floor with long strides. The System loomed intimidatingly as we drew closer, a vast tower of shining light.

It looked like...

The most expensive thing...

I had ever seen...

In my entire life.

And I was about to destroy it.

Sure...Some part of me, deep down inside, knew that Dr Floid didn't have insurance. That at the end of the day, her life's work was about to be ruined...

That part of me was...ecstatic.

Really, Karma is a genius....this is going to be the height of my delinquency career!

It was nearly enough to make me cry.

My eyes had even begun to water, just a little.

The only thing that kept me composed was the reality that I was surrounded by sadists.

Not to mention sharing a brain with one...

It shouldn't have been that big a deal really... but thanks to Jack, what was meant to be a simple trip down the stairs had become significantly more troublesome...Which...

I sent a glance up at Alan's cheerful smile.

...seemed to concern some people more than others...

Not that I recommend using his expressions to judge anything, but the King of the Hill certainly didn't give the impression that his plans had been delayed.... or even altered...

Once again, I didn't know what Alan was up too... which meant I had to blindly trust him... Like always...

I'm sure it will pay off... one of these days

It was only when he reached the computer's complicated-looking console that Alan deemed it safe to put Vain and I down.

Then again, I wouldn't put it past the redhead to prolong anything that made Vain's face screw up in distaste.

Even once the albino was free to stand on his own feet, Alan kept a firm hand on the shorter boys shoulder.

...the way I couldn't help but scowl every time he got a little too handsy...probably also played a part.

"If the worse happens, I'm leaving Peri in charge," Alan said, calmly holding Vain's gaze as he pulled out his phone and set it in front of the complicated looking keyboard.

"Do as he says, and nothing else."

The King's seriousness was more than a little daunting... As were his words.

...implying that Vain might do something reckless...

Vain's glare narrowed, his expression pinched with irritation.

"I'll do what I have to."

... Of course, he would. He already has.

Alan smiled, but it was in no way happy.

"I was afraid you would say that."

My hands clenched against Vain's palm, but I said nothing.

There was nothing I could say that wasn't selfish.

This is why I find punching people to be the best argument...

But that wasn't really an option here...