60- Fourth times a charm

We all waited in the waiting room of the police station, Sammi sitting away from us of course. If I could I'd kill her. Liam sat on Debbies lap, next to Ian and I sat between him and Lip, Fiona facing us.

We sat in silence for a bit, until I finally spoke, "I think this might be the end with me and Mickey.. the diagnosis you know. Even if I don't believe it, I'm pretty sure he does."

     Fiona sighed, "well, if it makes you feel any better, I already blew it with my husband.. and I don't even have any diagnosis to pin it on."

     "Gallaghers," I sighed. This made Fiona smile, "Gallaghers."

"That is kind of a diagnosis though right?" Lip added.

Fiona laughed, but he wasn't wrong.

"I miss you guys," I finally said, "and if I do have to stay home-"

"Don't worry I'm moving home tonight," Fiona reassured. I couldn't help but feel relieved, but a burden at the same time. But I was glad we'd be under the same roof again.

     That's when a cop came out to where we were sitting, "They're still questioning your brother, you're gonna have to wait another couple of hours."

     Me and my five siblings looked to each other, all thinking the exact same thing. We all lunged forward towards the interrogation room window. Banging and slamming our fists down on it, shouting:

     "Don't say anything!"

     "Ask for a lawyer!"

     We startled all the people in the waiting room anyway, they must have thought the whole lot of us were manic by the way we were hitting the glass and screaming bloody murder, but we were praying Carl didn't act stupid.

     We wanted him at home with us.

***

     That night i really felt worried for Carl. I knew he was fearless, but still, my little brother.

     I kicked all the shit on my floor out of the way, kicking off my shoes too. Pissed off at Sammi, my diagnosis and these fucking meds.

     I crawled into bed, smoking a cigarette to relax and then closing my eyes, trying to fall asleep.

     Not long after I heard the door to my room open, I thought it was just Ian coming to check on me so I pretended to be asleep.

     "Hey."

     ... Not Ian's voice.

     I turned over, and there was Mickey. And I felt my stomach fill with butterflies, like it did when we first were together. He looked ashamed almost.

     "Sorry I'm late."

     I took a shaky breath, not being able to respond, but kept my eyes locked on him as he took off his shoes and jacket, crawling into my bed beside me, squishing us both into my single bed.

He leaned over to kiss my head, and I closed my eyes, lying my head on his chest.. feeling the first time in a while, at peace and safe.

Sounds cringy I fucking know that, but i felt loved by him. And holy fuck I loved that psychotic boy too.

And for once it was easy to fall asleep.

***

I woke up in a cold sweat, sitting upright in panic. I lunged towards the window, looking at, completely forgetting that Mickey was beside me for a moment.