64- Hurricane Monica

"Hello?"

"Hey, thanks for calling sweetie I miss your voice!"

     "Look.. you know I wouldn't call you unless I really really needed to. But, I Uh.. I need you now."

     "Is this about Ian?"

     I paused, "W-wait how did you know?"

     "He called me, I'm on my way to get you guys okay? My two sweet peas need a break from that shithole!"

     "I mean- yeah. Yeah okay. See you in a few then."

***

     "You called mom too?" Ian whispered as we snuck out the back door.

"Yeah, I mean.. I didn't know what I else to do. Everything was falling apart."

We huddled close, hands in our jacket pockets as we watched our breath appear in small white clouds in front of us from the cold.

"There she is," Ian whispered.

There was an old car parked on the street opposite from our house.

"How'd she get a car?" I asked when Ian hushed me. Then we both made our way quickly and quietly to the car. Both of us knowing in the back of our minds that this wasn't a good idea, but we didn't want to believe that right now.

***

"I'm starving! You guys hungry?" Monica cheered as she pulled into some old diner. I blinked my eyes open after falling asleep against Ian's shoulder.

"Sure," Ian responded.

We pulled up and got out of the car. "Let's get steaks, and baked potatoes. Or some pancakes with ice cream! What are you guys hungry for?" She babbled on.

"I could eat waffles! But, we don't have any money Monica," I replied as we walked towards the diner.

"What? Ian the army not give you any money before they let you out?" She asked.

"I was arrested Monica. Why the fuck would they give me money," he laughed.

"Assholes! But don't worry, it's okay. I've got money. You two kids go in and get us a table, I'll run back to the car and get it!" She exclaimed, running off, but not in the direction of the car.

Me and Ian looked skeptically at each other, but shrugged it off as we went inside. But we stayed at the window, watching her approach a group of men, talking to them. Then going behind a truck.

     "She's definitely jerking him off for twenty bucks," I shrugged. Ian shot me a look, "what the fuck Morgan."

     I rolled my eyes, "as if you weren't thinking it too. Maybe a quickie for fifty bucks."

      He rolled his eyes, "nah, my bet is she sold him black tar heroin to be honest."

***

     "You guys want anything else? Cheeseburger? More fries?" Monica asked after we were sitting at a table already filled with French toast, pizza, fries and apple pie.

     "No thanks Monica. I don't even think we'll finish this," Ian laughed. He paused, ".. wait you can pay for all this stuff right?"

     "Yeah, yeah sure."

     Ian and I glanced at each other, " so we won't have to sneak out the back window like when we were little?" He asked.

     "I don't remember that," Monica laughed through a mouthful of fries.