Six

Hero

I'd mentally prepared myself for this trip for months. I'd never been to New York before. Hell, I'd never traveled much out of England. There was always something keeping me in place. Or someone rather.

But when you walk in on your girlfriend of nine months being fucked from behind by someone you considered to be one of your best mates? A sure fire way to practically run to the airport on your own two feet.

So that's how my week started out. Fantastic, I know. Emma and I had been seeing each other off and on for almost a year until we decided to make it official. Looking back, I should have looked deeper into all those times I'd either get home from work or the gym and find her cozied up on the couch with my friends/roommates waiting for me. She said she had a hard time connecting with the same sex. Now I understand why.

The sad part? I'm actually kind of torn up about it. Sure, the normal emotions of anger, disgust.. well pretty much those two mainly, have been living inside me ever since it happened. But weirdly enough, I'm stupid enough to actually kind of miss her.

I had more than enough time on the flight here to talk myself out of doing something insane like possibly giving her another chance when I return home. But here's the thing; I'm a relationship type of guy. I don't do hookups. The idea of sleeping with someone once and never seeing them again almost repulses me in a way. Or should I say, repulsed me. Because here's the other thing; ever since I laid eyes on a certain tiny blonde during dinner last night, having a taste is all I've been thinking about.

I haven't been subtle in the way I've been eyeing her all night. And that little line about her looking stunning as she clung to my arm while we walked down the isle? Complete understatement if you ask me. She's so beautiful, it's fucking nuts. If I had known that that had been here in New York all this time, I would have come a hell of a lot sooner. And maybe it's because I can't help but notice her every move, but I get the impression that she's checking me out too.

I swear, the second I decide to look in the other direction, up comes some guy to talk to her from where she now stands. She was alone. For all of ten seconds. Until Frat Boy McGee made his way over to her. From my position, I can tell she's smiling. Well, trying to might be a better way of putting it. I'm dying to know what's going on in that pretty little head of hers, because she looks like she'd rather be anywhere else.

Her body language is radiating discomfort. To the point, I don't even think she's listening to him anymore. Here, I thought everyone in attendance was either a doctor or whatever else you have to be ridiculously smart for, and this guy can't seem to grasp the basic concept known as reading the room.

As much as I'm enjoying the show laid out in front of me, I'm going to take this as my chance. If I don't speak to her before my time is up and I'm headed back home, I will gladly take the honor of punching myself in the fucking face.

In the midst of my ogling her tonight, I noticed she has never strayed away from red wine. Solid choice, however I'm more of a bourbon man myself. Just to make things interesting, I request a glass of white from the bartender, watching out of the corner of my eye at the two still standing near the waterfall. I can see the dude slinking his hands into the pockets of his slacks and rocking back and forth on his heels. In the same, Josephine's eyes are purely terrified as he begins to say his next words.

And that's my cue. I nod as I grasp both drinks in hand and slowly but surely begin to make my way over to the two of them. Just as I'm sure she's about to drop her glass and run, I ease my way next to them and speak directly to her. "There you are. I've been looking everywhere for you."