Seventy

"Did Hero ever tell you about his attempt at coaching third grade soccer?" Piper chimes in over the laughter currently flowing through the room.

That perks my ears up. "Noooo.." I draw the word out while turning to him. "He did not."

"Pi—" Hero's attempt to silence his sister falls on deaf ears.

"It only lasted about.. oh.. what do you say," she looks at her parents and they try to hide their laughs. "Two weeks?"

Laughter bubbles up from them as I put on my most shocked expression for Hero. Slapping his hand that is holding is glass.

"You don't—" Hero's interrupted again by a tipsy Piper. Hey, girl. I'm right here too.

"What was it you said?" She taps her chin and leans on the table. A mischievous look in her eye. "You don't want to busy yourself coaching kids who don't know their left from their right?"

"You would have all said the same," Hero laughs and leans back in his chair. His hand never leaving from across my shoulders.

This is fun. This is fun. Why the hell was I scared before?

Hero's family is like a larger extension of him. All jokes and laughs. Despite the designer wear and crystal hanging from the ceiling, I think we are all semi-drunk and having a good time. And dare I say.. I feel at home.

As soon as the plates from dinner are taken away, more alcohol is brought out. Various wines, some red and some white. The labels are all in French so I have no idea what the hell they are.. but it doesn't stop me from drinking them.

"Piper," I take an opportunity to address her since the room has died down. "What exactly are you in school for?"

I don't miss the playful glare she gives Hero. A somewhat of a ruining stare before she turns back to me. "My dear brother really hasn't told you much has he?" She grins and digs into the homemade dessert awaiting not her but each and every one of us individually.

"He has not," I say quietly, while leaning back in my chair. I can see Hero from the corner of my eye. A smile on his lips in my periphery.

"I study clothing design at the university here in London," she smiles before bringing the fork to her lips. And winking at Hero in the process.

"That's amazing."

"I like to design more abstract pieces. One of a kind," she goes on while she reaches for her wine. "This jacket is actually what I designed for my final last fall," she pats the dark purple faux fur coat beside her. My eyes are instantly drawn.

It's beautiful. Regal. It looks like something you'd find on a runway.

"It's beautiful," I smile at her as I answer shyly. Hero smirks at my side.

"You know.." she says after she shoves a piece of cheesecake into her mouth and begins chewing. "I could design you something. If you'd want that, that is?"

"I'd love that," I smile at her. My hand suspended above my plate. My eyes almost threaten to fill with tears.

I've never had this. And by this I mean a family to pull me in. To say, 'hey! You're with my son (or brother) and we're so happy he found you!"

Marvin's family was wealthy. But damn it if Hero's puts them all to shame. But they weren't like this. They were cold. They were calculating. They only wanted to know what you could do for them. This is nothing like that.

"Baby," hero's voice brings me back to reality. His hand covers mine on my fork. "You can't let this go to waste," I look up at him and suddenly feel embarrassed that his family is watching us interact. "Faye doesn't make this often and I'd hate for you to miss out." His smirk makes my knees weak. Thank god I'm sitting down. I wait as he brings the fork nearly to my lips to open them. Quickly closing them around the decadence as my cheeks flush.

He just had to go and do that.

Trust me.. he's not dating a lobster! Just me!

What I don't miss is the subtle way Hero licks his own lips as I do once he withdraws the fork. Damn him and his never ending sex appeal. Forever!

"So Josephine.." his father subtly clears his throat. Making me want to spit out whatever is in my mouth right now. The room is quiet. I swear, there has to be a cricket in here somewhere. I quickly wipe my lips with my linen napkin and look to him. "What is it that you do for work?"

Work.

Work...

WORK.

Fuck!

I've been here how long and haven't even remotely thought about work? Jesus Christ. Hero decides to swipe me off my feet in the middle of the night and I have a full time job I left at home?!

I can feel my heart rate quicken. Like the whole damn thing is about to jump out of my chest.

Feeling like I'd much rather deal with the whole situation tomorrow.. sober.. instead of tonight, I decide to answer.

"I'm a nurse," I smile at him from across our half of the table. Hopefully my nerves don't keep me out of check.

"A nurse?!" Hero's mom speaks up. Looking at her husband like he'd just hung the moon. "That's amazing!"

I feel my cheeks flush instantly. Suddenly wanting this dinner to end. They probably think I'm just with Hero because he's rich. What does someone like me have to offer a man like him.

As if he can sense that I'm on the verge of insanity, Hero clenches my hand with his own under the table. I chance a look at him and I see his drawn eyebrows. He looks concerned. Maybe upset. For fucks sake.. I need to get out of here.

"Where's your restroom?" I ask and every one goes quiet. I don't miss the sudden worry lines on his mother's face. I don't chance looking at Hero. I know his face is the same. And call me selfish, but I hate that it's because of me.

"Down the hall. First door on the right," Hero says quietly and I excuse myself. Giving the table a fake smile. I make sure to have my phone. I need to call Myra. I hope to god she's awake.