Sixty nine

Hero

With every step down the stairs onto the main floor, the smell of roasted chicken and rosemary becomes stronger. My stomach clenches with hunger. I lead Josephine by the hand down the winding staircase, the sound of our shoes hitting the marble floors echo throughout the space. I guess it's finally time to meet my family.

I've been wanting to introduce them to Josephine before I even moved to New York. But things just didn't line up. However, with how things were going recently back in the city with Marvin and all of his antics. Plus my girl being worked nearly to the bone, I figured why the hell not? So I made arrangements for the jet.

"It smells so good," Jo whispers next to me. Her eyes taking in the artwork that lines both sides of the long narrow hallway that leads towards the back of the house. The area where the kitchen and dining quarters are.

I smile down at her and give her hand a small squeeze. Feeling on cloud nine that my current and past lives are finally about to meet. "You don't need to whisper," I whisper back at her and she giggles and the grip on my hand tightens.

As we grow nearer, I can hear the faint sound of my mother's voice grow louder. She's giving orders to Lady Faye; our in home chef since I was just a boy. Somewhat of a grandmother figure to me over the years and one to make sure your stomach is well past full when you finally leave the table. Not that it's hard, her cooking is out of this world.

"Anything else I can retrieve, Mrs?" I hear Lady Faye's voice as we round the corner into the dining room. The lighting much more of an ambiance in here than the rest of the house. The crystal chandelier hanging in the center of the twelve person dining table is dimly lit and there are at least a dozen candles every other inch down the middle of the table.

As soon as we enter, my mother and and Faye turn their heads our way. A warm smile breaks out across both their faces. My father, who's got a glass of dark amber liquid to his lips, straightens from his position at the head of the table and I see his lips curve up in our direction as well.

"Good evening, everyone," I grin at them and slip my arm around Jo's shoulder. Hoping to calm her nerves. I can't imagine how intimidating this all would be. It's like stepping into the queen of England's house I'm sure. But once we get settled, she hopefully will too.

"Son," my father's deep voice and rich accent comes out. He stands to his feet and sets his glass down as well.

I hold my hand out for him to shake as he comes closer, smiling at both Josephine and I. When in reach, he takes my hand in a firm handshake and pulls me in for a hug. "Dad," I slap him on the back and we pull away. "Good to see you."

"I have to say the same," he pats me on the shoulder and turns his eyes down next to me. We are similar in height. In most of our looks, really. But recent years have his rich brown hair turning gray just above his ears. "And this must be Josephine," he smiles and takes her hand. Holding it with his own and patting the top of it with his other.

My father is a kind man. Well tempered. He and my mother both. It's done him well at raising me to be the same. However, I've been in the room when business deals became heated. It's like a mask he uses only if he must. Every other moment? He's just like he is now.

"Hello," Josephine smiles at him as she tucks a piece of fallen hair behind her ear. I notice her fingers a bit shaky. I rub her back lightly as if to let her know I'm right here.

"Edward," my mother's voice comes from across the room. A smile playing on her lips. "Don't hog them all to yourself, dear. Everyone come! Sit!"

Eventually, we all find our way to the table. My father takes his seat once again, my mother to his right, leaving Josephine and I to the two spots on his left. I pull her chair out and she smiles shyly at me before gracefully sitting down. Once she's settled, I place a quick kiss to the top of her head and sit down next to her. Swinging my arm over the back of her chair.

"I thought you said Piper would be here," I ask as I nod a quick thanks to the woman serving me a drink. Dark in color, like my dad's.

"And for you, miss?" She asks Jo. After she looks at me quickly, I answer for her.

"Whatever red wine you've got handy will be fine." With a nod and a turn of a heal, the woman disappears from sight.

"She's on her way," my mother says as she folds her napkin onto her lap. "She called earlier about her class running late. Something about a deadline for this semesters final design."

"And Jonah?"

"Finishing up a deal in Italy," my father answers this time. Reaching for my mother's hand across the edge of the table.

"Who's Jonah?" Josephine asks quietly as she reaches for her glass of wine that's just been set down.

"Oh for gods sake, Hero. What else haven't you told the poor girl?" My mother playfully holds her hand to her chest. "Josephine, darling, Jonah is our oldest son. He works alongside Edward in the real estate business."

"Oh!" Jo smiles at my parents and kicks me swiftly in the shin from her side. I have to bite back my laughter at being so caught off guard.

So I may not have talked about my family. Like... at all. I've been way more occupied in Josephine to consider all that.

"And Piper," my mom begins to speak again. Just as the hurried clicking of heels grows louder just outside the room.

"I'm here! I'm here!" Piper bursts in the room in a frenzy. Her deep purple faux fur coat nearly dragging on the floor. Always with the dramatics this one. Has been since she was born.

"Sorry I'm so late. My flat mates new puppy tore my original design work to shreds. So much for ever leaving the door to my bedroom open when I'm not around. I barely made it in time to hand it in. I feel like I've been in a— Oh!" My sister stops abruptly on the other side of the table and a grin forms almost ear to ear. "Is this?" She looks from me, to my father, my mother, and back our way again.

"This is Josephine. Josephine, this is my sister Piper. Or as we call her, the headless chicken," I smirk and Josephine nearly snorts, my parents doing the same.

"Very, funny.." Piper shrugs out of her coat and drapes it on the chair next to hers. Suddenly giving the room and really the whole moment a casual tone.

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry you had a long day. Nothing a little wine and Lady Faye's home cooking can't fix. Come on, sit," my mother beams at her only daughter. Patting the chair next to her own.

I swear I can almost feel Josephine relax beside me. The air lighter in the room. As far as families go, I know mine is intimidating. All the wealth everywhere doesn't help. But none of that matters when all of us are together. It's just.. normal in its own way.

And whether she knows it yet or not, this is my family welcoming her as one of our own.