Eighty six

Hero

"Are you sure you can't stay just until tomorrow? It'll be dark soon," my mum pleads as she follows Jo and I out of the front door, our bags in hand as we hand them off to Lincoln who's waiting to give us a ride.

"I'm sorry, mum. We've got to go."

I see out of the corner of my eye as Jo stands awkwardly to the side, running her hands up and down her arms to warm herself up. It's chilly out. Much colder than it's been the whole time we've been in London. Dusk is coming, and a light layer of fog is rolling in.

"Alright," my mother says as she grabs me by the hand and clutches it tightly in hers. Giving us both a weak smile. I know she's not happy about us leaving so soon. Hell, neither am I. But Josephine is on edge. Marvin's up to his usual shit so it seems, and My potential in-laws are in town, probably awaiting our arrival, so we need to leave tonight.

"Thank you for everything. Truly, mum. It was the best," I smile as I wrap her in my arms, towering over her smaller size as she hugs me tightly. I missed my family. I always do. I'm so glad I made this happen.

After a few moments, we break our embrace, my mother looking up at me as she takes a step away. Her hand finds my cheek as she holds me in place for a moment, smiling up at me like She'll never see me again. "My sweet, sweet boy," she smiles before turning her attention to Josephine.

"It was lovely meeting you, dear. You know you're welcome anytime," I hear her say and lean against the car as I watch them hug. Jo's eyes are closed and she has a serene smile on her face as she holds my mother tightly. After a bit, they've broken the hug.

"Call me as soon as you land," mum says as I usher Jo into the car. Making sure she gets in safely.

"We will," I smile at her again and turn to get in as well.

••••••

We've been in the air for nearly forty minutes. Taking off in the jet was no problem. After making it out of a bit of turbulence out of London, we were assured the rest of the flight would be smooth.

But it's also been forty five minutes since Josephine has said all but five words to me. I've been watching her worry from here.

"Baby," I say over the whir of plane noise. She looks at me but gives me a tight smile. One that definitely doesn't meet her eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she shrugs and turns to look out of the small window beside her. Biting on her thumb nail like it's the most interesting thing in the world.

"Are you upset about Marvin?" I find myself asking. Hating the taste in my mouth at that mother fuckers name.

"No— well... yeah a little."

"I'm excited to finally meet your parents," I smile at her, needing to change the subject. It's not a lie. I am excited. Jo talks so highly about them, and since they're so far away we haven't yet met them. From the pictures I've seen in our apartment, Jo looks exceptionally like her mom.

"Yeah," she says so quietly, looking at me out of the side of her eye before turning back towards the window. And there goes that fake smile yet again.

There's a part of me that knows she's holding something back. What? I can't be sure. She's told me a few times that she knows her family would love me, but we've never actually spoken or met.

"Jo.." I say and wait until she looks at me. "What is it? What's wrong?"

Folding her hands in her lap, she sighs before looking at me. Her eyes tired probably from all that went on last night.

"I'm fine," she says but I don't quite believe her. And once again I make a mental note to knock that fucker Marvin out the minute we touch down.

We sit in silence for a moment longer, the cabin of the jet dimly lit over head. Just as I'm about to suggest we go lie down for the duration of the flight, Jo's voice speaks up again.

"It's just.." she breaths deeply and shifts in her seat across from me. Looking far too uncomfortable to be delivering good news. "I may not have told them about us coming here."

"Okay.." I say. "It was kind of a spur of the moment trip."

"No," she shakes her head. "That's not the only thing I mean."

I can feel my eyebrows draw in as I look at her. Wondering what it is she's on about.

"Jo, what are you talking about?"

"I—"

Now I'm starting to panic. But I patiently wait for her to go on.

"I haven't exactly told them much about our relationship," she says sheepishly and I feel the weight of her words hit me below the belt.

"What do you mean 'much'?"

I take a deep breath and reposition in my chair. Suddenly annoyed at the fact she's eluding to.

"Tell me," I find myself saying lowly, causing her to look at me with deep blue doe eyes. But fuck it if I can't find it in me to still be upset.

"You have told them about us...right?"

All it takes is a small shake of her head and I feel my heart on the brink of shattering. With a deep breath, I look past her towards the back of plane, counting down from ten in my head before I face her yet again.

"I'm sorry," she all but whispers. Unshed tears threatening to spill in the darkened light.

Josephine's all but crying in front of me, apologizing for basically keeping us and our relationship a secret from the two most important people in her life. Meanwhile, I've just whisked her away to meet mine. I'm angry, upset, but most of all confused. Wondering why the fuck she's telling me what she is.

"Why?" Is all I can think to ask. My jaw ticking and clenched to all hell.

"It was a mistake," she says and I watch as a tear rolls down her cheek, which she quickly wipes away.

"A mistake?" I huff. "A mistake is leaving the light on when you walk out of the room. Not being in a relationship with someone, very serious at that. And not telling your parents about it. What? Do you expect me to just go to a hotel until they leave town when we get back? Act like any of this is normal?"

I know I'm being harsh. But damn it I'm pissed off. And rightly so. If I do say so myself.

"Just forget it," Jo says as she unbuckles her seatbelt and begins to stand. Wiping yet more tears away angrily.

I watch her get up and walk to the back of the plane in a hurry and all I can do is sit there. Wondering how in the fuck we are now so off base. Wondering if this relationship has always been this one sided.